Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Big Vitamin D Mistake. 2017 Papadimitriou DT. J Prev Med Public Health.

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by *GG*, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:31 PM.

1. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Abstract
    Since 2006, type 1 diabetes in Finland has plateaued and then decreased after the authorities' decision to fortify dietary milk products with cholecalciferol. The role of vitamin D in innate and adaptive immunity is critical.

A statistical error in the estimation of the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for vitamin D was recently discovered; in a correct analysis of the data used by the Institute of Medicine, it was found that 8895 IU/d was needed for 97.5% of individuals to achieve values ≥50 nmol/L.

Another study confirmed that 6201 IU/d was needed to achieve 75 nmol/L and 9122 IU/d was needed to reach 100 nmol/L. The largest meta-analysis ever conducted of studies published between 1966 and 2013 showed that 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels <75 nmol/L may be too low for safety and associated with higher all-cause mortality, demolishing the previously presumed U-shape curve of mortality associated with vitamin D levels.

Since all-disease mortality is reduced to 1.0 with serum vitamin D levels ≥100 nmol/L, we call public health authorities to consider designating as the RDA at least three-fourths of the levels proposed by the Endocrine Society Expert Committee as safe upper tolerable daily intake doses.

This could lead to a recommendation of 1000 IU for children <1 year on enriched formula and 1500 IU for breastfed children older than 6 months, 3000 IU for children >1 year of age, and around 8000 IU for young adults and thereafter. Actions are urgently needed to protect the global population from vitamin D deficiency.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/28768407/

2. rodgergrummidge

rodgergrummidge

Yes @*GG* , Unfortunately, diet and sunshine are not sufficient to maintain adequate levels of vitamin D in many people. It is estimated that a 1 billion people worldwide have a Vitamin D deficiency; the significant health consequences have been described as a ‘pandemic’.

While Vit D is widely known for its important roles in regulating calcium homeostasis and bone health, what is often overlooked is that Vit D plays critical roles in the immune system to help fight infections and to reduce the liklihood of excessive immune activation leading to autoimmune diseases.

Vitamin D deficiency is associated with an increased likelihood of IBD, RA, Type I diabetes, SLE, osteoarthritis and MS. In addition, those with low vit D are more prone to reactivation of latent virus leading to chronic activation of T-/B-lymphocytes and excessive cytokine production. All these immune functions of Vit D are likely to be critical in CFS.

While the precise blood levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D necessary for bone and immune health are still hotly debated, many are now recommending levels over 75nmol/l, with some even recommending levels >100nmol/l.

Supplementation of Vitamin D3 that leads to prolonged serum levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D greater than 370nmol/l (or 150ng/ml) is associated with significant toxicities.

Rodger

3. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

be carefull, my laboratory recommends that supplementation with biotine must be stopped minimum 8 days prior the dosage of vitaminD because of interferences.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 1:04 AM
    Gondwanaland likes this.
  4. HowToEscape?

HowToEscape? Senior Member

Finland is rather cold and lacking in sun. Someone living in Southern California would be ill served by eating that amount of vitamin D.

Skycloud likes this.
  5. notmyself

notmyself Senior Member

Vit D is also important for muscle health from what i know..is preatty much the only blood test that come back bad for me..i was deficient at 16 ng/ml..i take for like one month 2000 UI a day and stopped and never checked again, i wonder if i ever fixed the deficiency..i didin t pay much attention to it, cause all teh doctors i've seen weren t much concern about it, they say it's a deficiency but should not cause much problems...maybe they were wrong

pattismith likes this.
  6. jstash

jstash Senior Member

No way of telling other than to get re-tested.

Vitamin D deficiency was remarkably easy to correct in my experience earlier this year. Went from deficient to 97nmol after two months of supplementing 2,000 IU a day and lying down in the garden outside.

Unfortunately, had 0 effect on symptoms, and I'm actually worse now than when I got diagnosed (not saying it's anything to do with the vit d).

Skycloud, justy and pattismith like this.
  7. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    Unfortuantely vitamin D causes me to have severe joint pain and flu like feelings. I do have Cpn and have heard thats possible. I am deficient and need to try and add some more in again. I live in Wales - low levels of sunlight and i dont go out the house often at all.

Skycloud likes this.
  8. keenly

keenly Senior Member

UK
    Vitamin D causes increased Calcium uptake. We already have an issue with high intracellular calcium.

You are likely surround by nnEMF, this causes calcium efflux.

outsider, ahmo and echobravo like this.

See more popular forum discussions.