1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The ePatient Revolution
Ryan Prior shares his experience and his thoughts from attending the Stanford Medicine X Conference as he contemplates the rising of the ePatient Revolution ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The BIG CHASE: funding US ME/CFS non-profits

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Frank, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    They also have to get into Guidestar; last year they had to be in March 30th I think. They should be able to start to set up a Guidestar Account now.

2. undcvr

undcvr Senior Member

NYC
    Sorry but why are we raising money for these issues ? Not that I do not care about them but they are not as important to me at this time. I would like the funds raised to go to me/cfs issues only.

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

That is nothing to do with Phoenix Rising. These are the rules of the Chase Community Giving competition for their money. They've no particular connection with ME/CFS. They're free to set their own specifications.

4. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    ME/CFS issues fit into those broad categories -Pandora won $20,000 last year.

5. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Sample letter to CFS and non-CFS groups

6. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Europe
    As i told Cort i'm going to leave the organisation of this to you guys, hope someone pulls the wagon to the benefit of those CFS orgs

7. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    You know what's crazy - I just popped in chase funding non-profits into google and this thread is the first one listed :). Time to get started.

8. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Have we heard from Pacific Fatigue Labs - we definitely want them in there.

9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

If one goes in now one can see how the ones you voted for did:
    http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/leaderboard?view=my

and also the leaderboard for one's friends http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/leaderboard?view=friends - it'd be interesting if people could list some that were in the 200s, 300s, 400s - it might be good to work with these as these are the groups who can "get the vote" out to an extent anyway. The ones who were in the 200s in particular probably will be very focused.

My FB Friends leaderboard is made up of all winners except one, that AACFS (now IACFS/ME).

I didn't put a lot of thought into my voting - I just voted for ones that CFS, CFIDS or myalgic in their title:

TOP 200 MY VOTES MY FRIENDS MY AREA Official Rules

10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

One can search for a named group and see how many votes they got last time

One can search for a named group and see how many votes they got last time:
    http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/search

Similarly one can search for key words e.g. Fibromyalgia, and see groups that come up and see how many votes they got.

I'll leave this to others.

11. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Hi Cort - no, haven't heard back. They were keen to be in but didn't know if they fit the eligibility criteria so via a friend I sent a query to Chase on their behalf but got no reply. Then we contacted Staci to say so and to suggest that she contact Chase directly and let us know, in case Chase were more likely to respond to an institutional email address. Haven't heard anything back.

12. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Europe
  13. frenchtulip

frenchtulip Senior Member

Thanks for being so alert, Frank. I can't wait for this contest to start up!

14. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    THANKS Frank! This will be exciting!

15. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Pairing co-ordinator(s) for bonus votes

(Apologies - I'm suggesting something which I'm not willing to do myself)

Last time, I think bonus votes were wasted because people sent them to people who had already got bonus votes and couldn't make use of any more.

The simplest way to work the bonus vote system as I recall is to pair people up so that each gives the other their bonus vote.

If one person or a group person (a private group could be set up to do it) could be setting up like a dating agency (maybe not the best example), it'd be good i.e. person X wants somebody to pair up, they write to this address, the person at the address had a list of people who are looking to pair up with somebody and the two give each other the bonus vote. In fact, i suppose it could be that the maximum at any one time would be 1 person although I imagine there would be times nobody was there to check the votes.

Perhaps it could be a hotmail/yahoo/gmail/whatever account that a few people have access to - or mabye it would work best as a Facebook account. Then this address is E-mailed out in appeals. Anyway others may have ideas how it could work but ideally it'd be good to have the system ready before the competition started.

Even if the system never takes off, there should be a note to say not to give your bonus vote to anyone until you know they haven't already got one.

16. frenchtulip

frenchtulip Senior Member

17. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    great idea Dolphin and thanks frenchtulip

18. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Not starting till April 21

It's not starting till April 21. And it's only the top 100 this time:

http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/?ref=bookmarks&count=0
    10 votes this time:

19. Tuha

Tuha Senior Member

so do we have a list with our 10 priority organisations? if i remember the situation from the last year, maybe it

20. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Europe
    I think on 4/4 it will be possible to look up all the organisations that are IN contest. So then we can first look them all up and then do a poll?

See more popular forum discussions.