• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The BIG CHASE: funding US ME/CFS non-profits

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I cannot get the voting to work? How many votes did we begin with? I have 10 left no matter how many organizations I hit the "vote & share" button on. I'm getting what looks like a pop-up window which disappears immediately. I set my browser to allow from that site, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Cookies are also enabled.

Dr. A Martin Lerner's foundation is there, with only 48 votes.

I don't like the "allow access to my friends list and other info" either, but I do know that all facebook apps do this. I think they should change the way applications work, because many people will not use apps at all because of this.

Tuha

I assume it wouldn't be on the list if it didn't

I am not sure - I can also see there NEW JERSEY CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME ASSOCIATION INC - they have around 90 votes - I doubt that they have budget more than 1 mil. - they were in the competition last year (budget under 1 mil.)
Is it really sure that from ME/ CFS organisations only WPI and CAA fit the criteries?

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
No, unfortunately, one can't assume that. I'm fairly sure the NJCFSA doesn't have a turnover of $1m or more.

Have you "liked" Chase Community Giving?

interesting, they can be on the list when not qualifying? that makes things rough for us.

yes, I've "liked" Chase Community Giving

beesknees

I cannot get the voting to work? How many votes did we begin with? I have 10 left no matter how many organizations I hit the "vote & share" button on. I'm getting what looks like a pop-up window which disappears immediately. I set my browser to allow from that site, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Cookies are also enabled.

I don't like the "allow access to my friends list and other info" either, but I do know that all facebook apps do this. I think they should change the way applications work, because many people will not use apps at all because of this.

Are you using firefox? I've heard people say they couldn't use it with Firefox.

glenp

"and this too shall pass"

Look at the bottom left corner - See where it says welcome - can you click on sign in?

http://www.refresheverything.ca/bigheartrescue

Dolphin

I was using mozilla firefox, but now I've tried IE and it worked! Thank you!

anyone decide whether Lerner's organization qualifies?
Well, given I have 8 votes left, I've voted for it (search for Lerner in search box). It's actually at 50 votes. Maybe somebody could check Guidestar to see whether the turnover is over $1m. It would be a real shame if a nonprofit like this missed out when it was eligible.

Dolphin

What the CAA etc will spend the money on:
Presumably there will be clarity on the issue when the "big idea" comes out:
The Big Idea:Once the top 100 Charities from Round 1 are announced, they will have the opportunity to submit their Big Idea in 1000 characters or less describing how the Charity would spend $500,000 if it won and will also have the option to submit a 30 second video and 5 photos with short captions. Big Idea content must be submitted by 11:59:59 PM ET May 15, 2011
I imagine they'll have to say it's for their research fund as it would take a very big project to spend $500,000. But I don't know.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Well, given I have 8 votes left, I've voted for it (search for Lerner in search box). It's actually at 50 votes. Maybe somebody could check Guidestar to see whether the turnover is over $1m. It would be a real shame if a nonprofit like this missed out when it was eligible.

There is no financial information in Guidestar, which lists the founding year as 2010 (is that true?)

Enterovirus foundation is also on Chase and has 1 vote. No financials on guidestar, which lists the founding year as 2009.

Dolphin

There is no financial information in Guidestar, which lists the founding year as 2010 (is that true?)

Enterovirus foundation is also on Chase and has 1 vote. No financials on guidestar, which lists the founding year as 2009.
Well done for looking. I suppose the thing to do is to contact them and see if there is a chance either is eligible i.e. get an idea of their turnover. Have a lot of work to do myself (can be slow to do it!) so would prefer if others did this. Will promote if there's a chance one or both is eligible.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
What the CAA etc will spend the money on:
Presumably there will be clarity on the issue when the "big idea" comes out:
I imagine they'll have to say it's for their research fund as it would take a very big project to spend $500,000. But I don't know.

I don't think I asked that out loud... can you read my mind? :D

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
how many can win? or are we going for awareness by promoting as many ME/neuroimmune/infectious orgs as possible?