• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Big Break for Charity Voting Competition - Vote for any one of 4 UK ME Charities

Firestormm

This year 4 ME charities have agreed to be voted for in different months of the Direct Debit Big Break voting competition so as not to compete with each other:

Invest in ME in March;
Action for ME in April;
The ME Association in May;
ME Research UK in June.

Each month £5000 will be donated to the causes with the most votes - £2000 to the highest, £1000 to the second and £2000 divided between the next runners-up.

1939440_656800657710929_1602165953_n.png

Please join us in voting for all 4 charities over the next 4 months so we all benefit https://www.directdebit.co.uk/Direc...oteForAGoodCause/Pages/VoteForAGoodCause.aspx

We shall allow Big Break appeals on behalf of any of these charities to be placed on MEA Facebook during the four months of the competition.

Charles Shepherd

As our announcement indicates, four charities - AfME, Invest in ME, MERUK and the MEA are all co-operating and actively supporting each other in this monthly voting contest.

So there will only be one ME/CFS charity each month and I hope everyone will join in this co-operation by voting for an ME/CFS charity every month for the next four months.

The MEA will announce nearer the time what we will do with any money that is raised during our month (May).

I have just placed my vote for Invest in ME.

Charles Shepherd

Invest in ME are currently in first place this morning.

Firestormm

If you vote via Facebook, and you get the box open saying it will share your contacts, you can press 'cancel' and your vote will still be registered. So you don't have to share your personal information or friends with Direct Debit if you don't want to :)

Voted.

Firestormm

Well that's that confusion sorted. You need to 'OK' the first and then 'Skip' the second step when voting via Facebook. Or you can OK the second step. I don't really like these kind of people knowing who my friends are and bothering them after the competition ends with advertising.

Definitely voted.

Hey, @Min are you going to vote for the other ME charities in coming months? :)

Min

I shall vote for the ones actually working for myalgic encephalomyelitis sufferers.

Aileen

Voted! Very simple, just a couple clicks. They are in a very close race. One vote could make the difference.

Firestormm

It is May. Please vote for the ME Association:

me-association-100-x-100.jpg

ME affects one in every 250 people in the UK - children and adults. There is no cure. The disease is often triggered by an infection and can strike previously active individuals of any age. Without more biomedical research, diagnosis will remain complicated.

The disease affects people to different extents: some can't sleep, some sleep for abnormally long periods. Some become so weak they are confined to bed or a wheelchair for months and or even years. Inability to concentrate can take away the ability to read, to understand, and to make reliable decisions. Some succumb suddenly, while for others it is a gradual decline. Universally, quality of life is lost, and the disease can last for many years.

Medicine still has many questions to answer: how big a part is played by infection and the immune system? the brain and muscle? the gut? the heart? gene expression? is there an autoimmune component? And how do all the identified abnormalities fit together?

The ME Association funds only biomedical research. We currently fund studies into mitochondrial (muscle) dysfunction, immune function, and sleep disturbance, and we co-fund the UK ME Biobank - a valuable repository that shares blood samples with researchers. Progress is being made, but more funding for quality biomedical research is desperately needed.

If the MEA wins this contest, ALL the money will be ring-fenced for biomedical research into either: a clinical trial of Rituximab, a study of neuroinflammation, or the exploration of immune system abnormalities.

We also produce valued information, advice and support to sufferers and their families. We believe those affected by ME deserve a better future. Please vote for us.

If you want to vote for this cause click the "Vote" button or vote by text using the detail below. If you prefer post see terms and conditions for more information. You can vote for as many causes as you like but you may only vote once for each.