Looking Ahead to Change: Little by Little
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I ever really did, but the last decade or two would have been enough to stifle that impulse. I've just been too aware that I don't have that much control over what happens in my life.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Bates method of perfect vision.

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by RogerBlack, Jan 20, 2017.

1. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bates_method - was just wandering around wikipedia and found this:
    Certain parallels came to me.

TiredSam likes this.
  2. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    I tried this about 30 years ago, when I was much more "open" to such things. Didn't work for me.

Snow Leopard likes this.
  3. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Och boy, look in the sun when the pupilreflex does not work.

4. Countrygirl

Countrygirl ME is not MUS

UK
    My optician has told me that being in sunlight makes the cataracts grow at a faster rate. So doesn't sound a good idea for many of us.

I also came across the 'don't wear your glasses' idea 40 years ago. I have progressive myopia and I removed my specs and felt my way cautiously round my then flat for weeks.

When I returned to the optician for the first and only time in my life I required a weaker prescription. So it may have helped.

Now I would just break my neck if I tried it again.

trishrhymes and TiredSam like this.
  5. Hip

Hip Senior Member

There is good evidence from chick experiments that wearing positive (+) lenses (as found in reading glasses) can reduce the degree of myopia.

So just before I developed ME/CFS, when my myopia was -5.50 in each eye, I started experimenting with wearing +2 lens reading spectacles to read a book, for around 45 minutes each day. Reading glasses will actually make your myopia worse, so that you have to hold the book just inches from your nose for the text to be in focus, but this relatively comfortable to do if you read in bed.

After around 6 months doing this daily, I found that my ophthalmic prescription had decreased in magnitude for the first time in my life (it usually got worse on each eye test): both eyes improved by 0.25 dioptre, with my prescription going from -5.50 in each eye, to -5.25.

Sadly since developing ME/CFS, my prescription has shot up to -8.00 in one eye, and -7.25 in the other. I think this is likely due to the fact that I spend almost the entire day glued to the computer; excessive nearwork like this has been implicated as a factor in the development and progression of myopia. But I also wonder whether the blurred vision of ME/CFS acts to worsen the myopia.

6. valentinelynx

valentinelynx Senior Member

Tucson
    Wow, thanks, you may have just explained what's going on with my vision! It's been perplexing me why my distance vision has gotten better in the past couple of years. Even the glasses I bought a year ago are now too strong. Well, I now have to rely on reading glasses to read, having reached that age at which my arms are too short...

BTW, I had Lasik years ago. It was fantastic to go from -6.5 to near 0 diopter correction (to be able to see the clock at the bedside without my glasses!). My husband was -10 in both eyes (had barely enough cornea for successful Lasik), unable to recognize a person standing in front of him without corrective lenses, and was corrected to near 20/20. He still has both good distance and near vision 16 years after Lasik. My eyes "slipped" a bit over the years, until I needed -1 diopter correction. But that seems to have changed again for the better, although my near vision is getting worse with age.

Hip likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.