• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The association between borderline personality disorder, FM and CFS: systematic review

worldbackwards

I do grudgingly admire the single mindedness of the project - having failed in their clear aim to find a connection, they conclude that a connection should be suspected anyway, after all, why not?

Win-win and trebles all round, as I believe they say in the bar at the Royal College Of Psychiatry.

osisposis

findings could reflect TBI actually, but they aren't going to ever see that if they don't look at the bigger picture, it may also fall in with SEVERE CNS FM. some of us likely do have TBI/PTSD as reconized in GWI , goes beyond brain fog, when I got sick it totally changed me much like TBI, I was diagnosed with PTSD. some that don't have severe sunis/brain involvement might not see how effects to the amygdala could affect personality/mood, but with this going on and with re-exposure to some of my triggers my mood can change immeditly, to crying, anger,and some times laughing and theres no controlling it, it's a brain affect. the same old phyci bs questioniares are not ment to be used on people with actual brain injury so this is the kind of stuff you will see, ADD,ADHD,ECT. chemical exposures can affect peoples moods. this is the reason physco mumble jumble is BS , because they want to blame mood disorders on the person and treat them with their toxic drugs, they know it's BS. most people will have some depression like over loss of family member, ect. but with time they will be ok, it's not clinical depression. severely abused people and the stress involved with that can no doubt affect the parasympathic system, both physo and physicialogical stresser's affect this this pathway, so there in is why , problem is psychiatric evaluations don't consider environmental exposures in their work. so for all these years people suffering from environmental exposure have been labled as crazy and in severe cases a diagnoses of PTSD , if you have followed GWI RESEARCH it has resently been found that many with a PTSD diagnoses have been now found to have TBI hence the TBI/PTSD NEW TERM. these will likely be people that have had fairly severe involvement in inhalation exposures to chemical/toxins that have caused damage by way of sinuses, olfactory amygdala, on to limbic system witch is separate from people here that are not here from environmental exposures and this involvement.

osisposis

and yep nothing like getting a PTSD diagnoses for your family to believe you just went crazy instead of listening to you when you try to explain what that actually is, TBI because not to many people get closedhead TBI being caused by chemical exposure, when you say TBI most people think that means you had to have a blow to the head.

osisposis

actually I think this is a pretty good study, they may find that mood disorders are more connected to CNS fibromyalgia than CFS tho.
CNS FIBROMYALGIA >(MCS,CHRONIC RHINOSINUSITIS, HYPERSENSITIVITIES, frontal brain injury+limbic involvement)
Neurobiologically, there is evidence that individuals with BPD have altered functioning in multiple regions of the brain including the anterior cingulate gyrus, hippocampus, amygdala and orbitofrontal cortex, as such BPD is conceptualised as decreased prefrontal inhibitory control and amygdala hyperactivity.

if you don't get it you probably don't suffer this involvement.

heres some clues pointing to environmental exposures playing in here.

Th1, Th2, and Th3 cytokine alterations in major depression.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16126278

Differential gene expression in brain and peripheral tissues in depression across the life span: A review of replicated findings.
The findings highlight dermal fibroblasts as a promising experimental model for depression biomarker research, provide partial support for all major theories of depression and suggest a novel candidate gene, PXMP2, which plays a critical role in lipid and reactive oxygen species metabolism.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27565517

Blood-based gene expression signatures of medication-free outpatients with major depressive disorder: integrative genome-wide and candidate gene analyses.
The 317 screened DEGs mapped to a significantly over-represented pathway, the "synaptic transmission" pathway. The protein-protein interaction network was also significantly enriched, in which a number of key molecules for depression were included. The co-expression network of candidate genes was markedly disrupted in patients. This study provided evidence for an altered molecular network along with several key molecules in MDD and confirmed that the candidate genes are worthwhile targets for depression research.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26728011

Epigenetic differences in monozygotic twins discordant for major depressive disorder.
Network analysis revealed genes and gene networks that support the inflammation hypothesis of MDD.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27300265

osisposis

this is basicly why Jarred Younger is looking at GWI/ME/CFS/FM and people sick from environmental exposures with TBI/PTSD like me, this is why the need to separate CFS from FM. so far CFS and CNS FM appear to have one thing that ties them together, the mitochondria involvement. other than that if you have been made ill from chemical exposure you may not suffer any depressive/mood effects.

osisposis

inflammation in the brain isn't just from the gut/brain route for some of us! :( and actually there is quite a bit of research out pointing to environmental exposures with ADHD,ADD,AND OTHER MOOD DISORDERS

osisposis

a mood is just a mood unless it becomes part of a disorder or disease or in this case part of TBI!

adreno

PR activist
Personality disorders? Those fictitious disorders based on psychoanalytic theory? No one can even define personality, how can there be a disorder of it. This is closer to voodoo than science.

Hip

The only common symptom I can see that is found in both borderline personality disorder and ME/CFS is emotional lability (also called emotional instability, or the pseudobulbar affect).

So given this dissimilarity (ie, that there are so few symptoms in common), you probably would not expect to find much comorbidity between BPS and ME/CFS.

Here are the symptoms of BPD:
Specific Symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder
A person with this disorder will also often exhibit impulsive behaviors and have a majority of the following symptoms:
  • Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment
  • A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation
  • Identity disturbance, such as a significant and persistent unstable self-image or sense of self
  • Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating)
  • Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior
  • Emotional instability due to significant reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days)
  • Chronic feelings of emptiness
  • Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights)
  • Transient, stress-related paranoid thoughts or severe dissociative symptoms
Source: 1

Last edited: