Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The association between borderline personality disorder, FM and CFS: systematic review

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Effi, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    http://bjpo.rcpsych.org/content/2/4/275
    Sarah Penfold, Emily St. Denis, Mir Nadeem Mazhar
    British Journal of Psychiatry Open Sep 2016, 2 (4) 275-279;
    DOI: 10.1192/bjpo.bp.115.002808

:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    leela, Woolie, JohnCB and 6 others like this.
  2. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Despite their best efforts they found nothing, but will keep trying.

What motivates people like this?

And what is an "index of clinical suspicion"?

Izola, Jan, justy and 25 others like this.
  3. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    :bang-head: More Snark-hunting ....

Hunting_Snark_map.jpg

justy, Snow Leopard, ahmo and 14 others like this.
  4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

When will the psychs finally accept that it's ALL IN THEIR MINDS!

5. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

Is it some borderline personality disorder that prevents some researchers dealing with patients with the conditions supposedly being researched?

Methods A search of five databases yielded six eligible studies. A hand search and contact with experts yielded two additional studies. We extracted information pertaining to study setting and design, demographic information, diagnostic criteria and prevalence.

So that's all right then.

leela, Woolie, SilverbladeTE and 3 others like this.
  6. Kina

Kina

Sofa, UK
    Irrational delusions.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    Izola, leela, Marky90 and 16 others like this.
  7. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Guilty until proven innocent.

SNAFU

8. true
    and in some cases, bloody minded rat bastardy! :p

9. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

moderated with many others
    For the 5 CFS studies they quote they have one at 17% but with only 35 patients. Others are much less. The abstract of this 17% study says

From comments in the review about this study:
    So it looks to me as if the questions they ask to claim BPD may just have answers that come with fatigue (suggested by increase in MS and CFS). Also it is unclear how to disentangle depression from ME. This is also the smallest study with 34 patients.

For another study they comment
    This was a larger study with 113 patients. But I do wonder if the questionnaires are just picking up effects of being ill. This study found the smallest number of people with BPD.

With this study of 50 patients the numbers with BPD were smaller than the healthy population. There healthy population figure is high at 6% which is as high.

But the 6% figure for controls is similar to this study (92 patients) which has the same level for CFS.

So looking at this I would conclude there is nothing worth looking at. Certainly not worth research dollars being diverted to this rather than promising research lines.

Roy S, Woolie, trishrhymes and 16 others like this.
  10. Denise

Denise Senior Member

Oh Good Grief!
    When will these claims end?
    How much biological proof do these people NEED?

Jan, Snow Leopard, leela and 7 others like this.
  11. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    They are completely immune to any amount of proof. All we need is enough proof for the rest of the world to realize what complete nonsense they are babbling. At that point they will be sidelined and ignored. Then they'll get bored and move on to their next victims (ie sufferers of another unexplained illness). That is why it is so important that they are brought to account and this madness is stopped instead of being rewarded with knighthoods.

Jan, Webdog, alkt and 17 others like this.
  12. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

What's the name of the personality disorder in which there is an emotional need to build a narrative of moral failure in patients with poorly understood disease?

It's always the most vulnerable patient populations that are targeted. Some sort of a bullying phenomenon.

Jan, snowathlete, Woolie and 19 others like this.
  13. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

BPD is fairly common in the population. If you exclude the clearly invalid tiny study that showed 17% prevalence rate, the rate of BPD in the other CFS studies is just what you'd expect in any population. Their conclusion is puzzling/absurd. I'm surprised that no reviewer pointed this out.

Jan, snowathlete, leela and 20 others like this.
  14. Large Donner

Large Donner Senior Member

I am not sure they will only move onto other groups. This study also used people with MS and seems to have made the same basic flawed assesments of that biological illness.

ie/ Feel ill?

Yes..

Ah look your "behaviour" has changed therefore you have a co morbid personality disorder.

Dont forget this study claims to be looking at comorbid issues not primary cause. Its obvious though that the intention is to imply "BPD" as causative and hidden. It s a game that ca go on and on.

The next stage is obvious when biomarkers are found for the cause of the physical disease, they will start a whole new round of "we have discovered the biomarkers for the mental function change in ......".

Feeling ill is a personality disorder!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Woolie, Jennifer J, Solstice and 6 others like this.
  15. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

Why am I not?:whistle:

16. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Natelson was the senior author of the 17% study, btw. I've always considered him a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Woolie, duncan, Daisymay and 2 others like this.
  17. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

I guess I should be used to it by now. As you can see this paper was published in BJP Open. A lot of major journals like BJP, BMJ, various Nature journals etc. have started these new Open journals which will literally publish any old piece of trash for a payment, the stuff that's not good enough for their reputable flagship journals. It's a money-making racket for them but as a consequence of these predatory publishing practices we're now in a situation where virtually everything on Pubmed is wrong and extremely poor quality research like this review is not just slipping through the peer-review cracks every once in a while but becoming the norm.

18. soti

soti

19. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    I was going to comment on this study, but gave up in exasperation! (It's possibly best to ignore it anyway!)

This paper is basically trolling the patient community via academic publication? Is there a word for that?

20. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

The editor of this journal is from QMUL btw.

trishrhymes, leela, Woolie and 17 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.