• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The answer is simple

cigana

I believe that to be correct, Mark.

Thanks Otis. In that case my revised figure would be that $18,000,000 is possible in principle from only $2.50 a week each.

But as Justin quite rightly points out, most are not online. In the PR UK Advocacy group we're thinking about finding out by (a) getting a list togther of every organisation and support group in the country by asking people on foums to submit their local group's contact details. Then ideally (b) email each group/charity and ask them to quote approximately how many members they are able to get in contact with. It would be good to also ask under what circumstances they'd participate in mass rallying for campaigns. Anyway hopefully it would give us some basic statistical info about advocacy that's lacking....

eric_s

I realize that the point is to get people to donate anything, even small amounts.....even so,

I am far less likely to donate anywhere that I know that others are going to see the amt I gave

...if no one is going to see the amt, then I tend to think that every little bit counts and to give what I can even if it is a very small amt.....however, if I know that other people are going to see just how small an amt I donated, I am much much less likely to donate anythign because the amt I can afford is embarrassingly tiny...plus the tallies feel like pressure and judgment (& in one fairly recent case I know of, somethign like this led to a major online attack of those who were unable to donate or donate much)

also back when I actually donated more money, the flip side was true - I didn't want people to know how much I was giving because it seemed like bragging and becasue it seemed to put too much pressure on others to give more than they could afford or to feel bad that they couldn't

now if there were an online tally with no names connected that could be encouraging
Thanks for your input, Tammie. It's interesting to know how people feel about these things, so we can try to find the best way of doing it.

Of course nobody should ever be attacked for not donating and as far as i'm concerned there's no need to be embarassed, if one can only make a small donation. It's true for me as well and i feel good donating 10$ or even less. I know i will donate again a bit later and it will add up and if everybody did the same, it would get us very far. So any donation is great! We need people to get that message...

eric_s

Thanks Otis. In that case my revised figure would be that $18,000,000 is possible in principle from only $2.50 a week each.

But as Justin quite rightly points out, most are not online. In the PR UK Advocacy group we're thinking about finding out by (a) getting a list togther of every organisation and support group in the country by asking people on foums to submit their local group's contact details. Then ideally (b) email each group/charity and ask them to quote approximately how many members they are able to get in contact with. It would be good to also ask under what circumstances they'd participate in mass rallying for campaigns. Anyway hopefully it would give us some basic statistical info about advocacy that's lacking....
Great idea, i think this is the way to go. We need to get everybody involved, in one way or the other. This should be done in every country, so that we can try to increase the rate of PWCs that can be reached.

illsince1977

A shadow of my former self
WHITTEMORE PETERSON INSTITUTE FORNEURO IMMUNE DISEASES page on related site

I nominated them (I think, again - cause I could swear I did it months ago).

Then I took it a step further by clicking on the "donate" button, which took me to http://www.takepart.com/membersproject/donate ,where I searched for WPI.

It then opened this page http://www.guidestar.org/pqShowGsReport.do?partner=amex&npoId=100878067 where there is a very odd looking description (including what I'm assuming is the old street address) and mission statement, followed by a 2007 (mightn't a more current one be available by now?) financial statement, which I've omitted as I couldn't copy it and retain the table formatting here for some reason:
WHITTEMORE PETERSON INSTITUTE FORNEURO IMMUNE DISEASES

6600 N Wingfield Parkway
Sparks, NV 89436
GENERAL INFORMATION

Who We Are

The primary purpose of the institute is to provide clinical patient care, engage in basic and clinical research, promote higher education, and to do any other act or thing and to engage in and carry on any other activity in any manner connected with or incidental to, or calculated to, promote, assist, aid or accomplish any of the aforesaid purpose
  • This organization is a 501(c)(3) Public Charity .
  • This organization is required to file an IRS Form 990 or 990-EZ.
  • Financial information in this report is derived from the organization's December 31, 2007 Form 990.
  • Contributions are deductible, as provided by law.
MISSION AND PROGRAMS

Mission

The primary purpose of the institute is to provide clinical patient care, engage in basic and clinical research, promote higher education, and to do any other act or thing and to engage in and carry on any other activity in any manner connected with or incidental to, or calculated to, promote, assist, aid or accomplish any of the aforesaid purpose
Programs

1. The primary purpose of the institute is to provide clinical patient care, engage in basic and clinical research, promote higher education, and to do any other act or thing and to engage in and carry on any other activity in any manner connected with or incidental to, or calculated to, promote, assist, aid or accomplish any of the aforesaid purpose
FINANCIAL DATA

I wouldn't feel confident about asking anyone to donate through this site (even just their American Express reward points), which I'm guessing it allows people to do.

I'm guessing Guidestar gleans this information periodically all on it's own from some database/s and there is a character limit that WPI's description and mission statement exceeds, so it truncates some vital infoformation at the end. Does this look odd, nonsensical and out of date to anyone but me? Comments, anyone?

Tammie

Eric and others who commented on my comments , thanks for your replies and for understanding

I am glad to know that there are ways to donate anonymously becasue I do definitely want to contribute