• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The AMERICAN GUT project

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Is anyone here interested in this?

"The Human Microbiome Project and other microbiome projects worldwide have laid an important foundation for understanding the trillions of microbes that inhabits each of our bodies. However, opportunities for the public to get involved in such research has been limited. Now, American Gut gives you an opportunity to participate and to compare the microbes in your gut to those in the guts of thousands of other people in the US and elsewhere. American Gut is a project built on open-source, open-access principles. Our data are for the good of understanding and will be shared both with participants and with other scientists. Our experience has been that our best ideas and work come when we involve people in as many steps of our work as possible, be they scientists, educators, roofers, ultra-marathon runners or corporate leaders. Everyone has something to offer, whether their sample, their hypotheses, their analyses or their dog (yes, their dog, we will get back to that). The more we can understand the complex microbial ecosystems on which we depend, the more everyone will benefit. "

The will be doing DNA extraction and 16S rRNA sequencing of stool, oral or skin samples. The kits are $99. The last day to register is February 1, 2013.

More info here. http://www.indiegogo.com/americangut

cph13

Thanks dreambirdie, I am. I will review the site. Will U be participating? I am a firm believer that our gut is our 2nd brain.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hi cph13--I don't know yet.

I wonder if this test is worthwhile, and if it would tell me anything I don't already know. I am hoping someone who knows more about the kind of testing being done will offer their 2 cents.

Sushi what do you think about this test?

cph13

DB....Thank you for posting this info.
In reading what this site explains; I am even more interested. There is a lot of information on the study. I found this you tube very interesting.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jonathan_eisen_meet_your_microbes.html
certainly worth the time to listen. I have always connected my gut to many of our problems. Here is another interesting article

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201110/your-backup-brain

I reached out to "American gut". They were very quick to respond and gave me a contact telephone #. They will explain and ans. any questions one has. I am interested in a comprehensive study of "what lies within" to help address my issues better. Hope this helps,DB

Somebody can double check me, but I thought the $99 test was for bacteria only. The Metametrix test use DNA and tests for a variety of things including fungus, parasites and bacteria. I have BCBS and paid about $100 for it, but I think the list is $500. The project had more comprehensive tests, but they ran from $2,500 to $25,000.

cph13

Thanks Satori! You make a good point. I've had NO testing whatsoever on DNA fungus, parasites and bacteria. I'm a bit overwhelmed which way to turn on Metametrix testing, 23andme and Health Diagnostics. Now "American Gut". $$$$$ is an issue, of course. Why do our doctors NOT address any of this? I am waiting for results from Levine on EBV-HHV6, we believe that my tithers are over the charts again! Recently had the flu which lead to Thrush which lead to inflamed taste buds. It was a very bland Holiday, so to speak. I coudln't even get yogurt down at one point. Although I had a z pack I was on a probiotic 1st thing in the AM. I know I have gut issues. I believe the spiriva caused the thrush. Over 2 decades and I'm nowhere. Now, my age it taking it's toll. I don't know what medicare will pay for as far as metametrix is concerned. I'm a fish out of water and the strain of flopping around is overwhelming. All of this with a less than adequate brain....ay ya ya. Thank You though, AGAIN. I have to sit with a pad and these 4 tests and do a plus minus 1st on the $$$$$ than on the information presented on all of them. This is NOT a way to live!!!!!!
Be well

Ripley

By the way, in case anyone is interested, uBiome is a new private startup that is trying to become the next 23andme.com of the microbiome. In other words, they want to create the world's largest dataset of people's microbiomes and give them tools to visualize their microbiome, compare symptoms and diseases with their microbiomes. So, with uBiome, you would have an ongoing 23andme.com-like account that allows you to manage your results and comparisons as more data becomes available over time.

As to what sequencing they are using, they write:
Are you doing full metagenomic sequencing?

Full metagenomic sequencing is not ideal for citizen science because it's more expensive and there are not enough completed medical studies using it. We are doing what is called 16S sequencing. 16S is a ribosomal gene present in bacterial DNA that makes it possible for us to classify bacteria at the genus level and also filter out genetic material from humans and other organisms. This is the same sequencing method used in the bulk of past studies in this area, so it gives us the greatest ability to compare with past studies, making your data most relevant.

They have also started a IndieGoGo campaign and offer test kits for those who donate, but like the American Gut Project, the deal is only available till Feb 1st (with kits delivered in May 2013):

http://www.indiegogo.com/ubiome
http://ubiome.com

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/11/ubiome/

Looks like we've finally entered a new era.