1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The $1,000 genome has arrived, officially

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Waverunner, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

The consumer has to wait a little more, till he can access his genome including interpretation for $1,000 but this is only a matter of time. Exciting times.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2014/01/14/the-1000-genome-arrives-for-real-this-time/

Today, Illumina, the leading maker of DNA sequencers, announced a milestone in biotechnology: it is introducing a new machine that can sequence the genetic code of a human cell for $1,000.

The machine – actually a combination of ten machines working together called the HiSeqX Ten – will cost $10 million. Already, three have been bought by Macrogen, The Harvard-MIT Broad Institute in Cambridge, and the Garvan Institute of Medical Research in Australia. Illumina forecasts that it will sell five of the systems this year.

Eric Lander, one of the world’s leading geneticists and the director of the Broad, called the machines “extremely exciting” in Illumina’s press release. “Over the next few years, we have an opportunity to learn as much about the genetics of human disease as we have learned in the history of medicine,” he said.
    This does not, as I’ve noted before, mean that consumers will be able to buy their genomes for $1,000 any time soon. There are other costs, like analysis, that matter, and this does not include commercial markup for the providers of genetic tests. But it’s an important benchmark, and that Illumina made it there emphasizes its amazing dominance over its competitors.

Overstressed, merylg, Sea and 5 others like this.
  2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    *demands $1000 genome to be available soon* *shakes fist*

3. merylg

merylg Senior Member

Sydney, NSW, Australia

See more popular forum discussions.