1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

TGF-Beta 1 results?

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by 3CFIDS@ourhouse, Nov 17, 2010.

1. 3CFIDS@ourhouse

3CFIDS@ourhouse still me

Southeast US
    Does anyone know what Transforming Growth Factor (or TGF-Beta1) results mean? What is normal? What is typical for us? Thanks!
  2. Tony

Tony Still working on it all..

Melbourne, Australia
    REDlabs have this test listed under Immune Dysfunction. It's grouped as Cytokines: Cytokine RNA, inflammatory IL-6, IL-8, IL-10, TNF, TGF-1, MIP-1 mRNA levels.

The reference range they use is 0.00 - 30.00. I understand it to be an indicator of Th17 which can promote inflammation and blood brain barrier disruption...
  3. lono

lono

My understanding is that if your TGF-beta-1 is elevated if it's greater than 2380 pg/mL. I'm not an expert, but if it's elevated that's characteristic of many inflammatory and autoimmune conditions.

If you read other postings on this board you'll see that CFS/ME folks who have elevated TGF-Beta-1 also very often have elevated C4a, low melanocyte stimulating hormone (MSH) and low vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP). Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker has done the most work in this area; his theory is that people with these abnormalities are stuck in a chronic inflammatory response syndrome (CIRS) state.

Not everyone with CFS/ME has these abnormal biomarkers, but many of us do.

As with most everything having to do with CFS/ME, there's nothing currently in the medical literature about this.
  4. JanisB

JanisB Senior Member

Central Ohio
    Hi Lono,
    This is something I'm VERY curious about. I had the panel of tests Shoemaker recommends and definitely have CIRS (for more details, see my blogpost IS ME/CFS CIRS http://cfsmethylation.blogspot.com/2011/04/is-me-cfs-cirs.html) I do not have elevated TGF-beta 1, however.

What evidence do you have that 'not everyone with CFS/ME has these abnormal biomarkers"? Do you know people with CFS/ME who don't meet the criteria for CIRS?
  5. ttt

ttt

Santa Monica, CA
    I just wanted to bump this thread. I just got my TGF-Beta1 results back, and they're really high. Anyone know what this means?
  6. Overstressed

Overstressed Senior Member

Belgium
    Hi ttt,

I have an aneurysm of my aorta, and it looks like TGF-Beta is involved. I don't know the details, though, whether it's typical high, or low or disrupted. Perhaps it's a good moment to have your heart and aorta checked. Genetics do also play a role, most likely.

Best regards,
    OS.
  7. ttt

ttt

Santa Monica, CA
    Thanx, OS. I don't think it's a heart/aorta issue for me -- I think it means something else. But I appreciate the feedback, cause you just never know.

See more popular forum discussions.