• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

TGF-Beta 1 results?

Tony

Still working on it all..
REDlabs have this test listed under Immune Dysfunction. It's grouped as Cytokines: Cytokine RNA, inflammatory IL-6, IL-8, IL-10, TNF, TGF-1, MIP-1 mRNA levels.

The reference range they use is 0.00 - 30.00. I understand it to be an indicator of Th17 which can promote inflammation and blood brain barrier disruption...

Does anyone know what Transforming Growth Factor (or TGF-Beta1) results mean? What is normal? What is typical for us? Thanks!

My understanding is that if your TGF-beta-1 is elevated if it's greater than 2380 pg/mL. I'm not an expert, but if it's elevated that's characteristic of many inflammatory and autoimmune conditions.

If you read other postings on this board you'll see that CFS/ME folks who have elevated TGF-Beta-1 also very often have elevated C4a, low melanocyte stimulating hormone (MSH) and low vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP). Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker has done the most work in this area; his theory is that people with these abnormalities are stuck in a chronic inflammatory response syndrome (CIRS) state.

Not everyone with CFS/ME has these abnormal biomarkers, but many of us do.

As with most everything having to do with CFS/ME, there's nothing currently in the medical literature about this.

JanisB

If you read other postings on this board you'll see that CFS/ME folks who have elevated TGF-Beta-1 also very often have elevated C4a, low melanocyte stimulating hormone (MSH) and low vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP). Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker has done the most work in this area; his theory is that people with these abnormalities are stuck in a chronic inflammatory response syndrome (CIRS) state.

Not everyone with CFS/ME has these abnormal biomarkers, but many of us do.

Hi Lono,
This is something I'm VERY curious about. I had the panel of tests Shoemaker recommends and definitely have CIRS (for more details, see my blogpost IS ME/CFS CIRS http://cfsmethylation.blogspot.com/2011/04/is-me-cfs-cirs.html) I do not have elevated TGF-beta 1, however.

What evidence do you have that 'not everyone with CFS/ME has these abnormal biomarkers"? Do you know people with CFS/ME who don't meet the criteria for CIRS?

ttt

I just wanted to bump this thread. I just got my TGF-Beta1 results back, and they're really high. Anyone know what this means?

Overstressed

Hi ttt,

I have an aneurysm of my aorta, and it looks like TGF-Beta is involved. I don't know the details, though, whether it's typical high, or low or disrupted. Perhaps it's a good moment to have your heart and aorta checked. Genetics do also play a role, most likely.

Best regards,
OS.

ttt

Thanx, OS. I don't think it's a heart/aorta issue for me -- I think it means something else. But I appreciate the feedback, cause you just never know.

A zombie

I think high TGF low MSH high c4a all can say mold or lyme. I know wi've got lyme, but not sure about mold. We has house checked three years ago (basement)but i'm not convinced as we've gotten water in basement in another area (I believe since having the inspector out)

Gingergrrl

My TGF-b1 was 9400 (very high) in July 2015 after significant mold exposure. Am supposed to retest it but have not had a chance yet. I was told it was a marker for inflammation but not specifically only mold (but am certain mold played a big role in my own case.)

Ninan

My activated TGFbeta-1 is 18 661. Anyone knows if that's the same? Reference range is 1674-12400 pg/ml.

Last edited: