1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: In Free Fall Through the Looking Glass
Jody Smith continues to try to put into words the horror of the altered state that hobbles the brains of those with ME/CFS...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Text to Speech software

Discussion in 'Lifestyle Management' started by Andrew, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    Sometimes I am too spaced out to read. Or maybe it's only some kind off visual problem and weird feeling in head problem, because during those times I find I can still articulate and listen.

I want to be able to read more often, so I downloaded a trial version of IVONO text to speech software. Obviously, this only works with electronic reading, not real books.

Anyway, so far it seems to help. It works better if I can look at the text while I'm listening to the software read, even if I'm having trouble focusing. It seems that two senses work better than one. But it's more exhausting. So I try to trade off. And I don't do it for long periods.

I would love to hear from anyone else who is using text to speech software.
  2. jeffrez

jeffrez Senior Member

NY
    I don't really use it on mine, but Kindle has text 2 speech capability for a lot of books.

Linux has had text 2 speech conversion and output for years through "festival." I remember trying it a few years ago and it still needed a little work, but things are moving fast in the linux world now so I wouldn't be surprised if it were a nice app by now.
  3. wdb

wdb Admin

London
  4. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Hi Andrew - a friend of mine visited me last month and showed me her new Kindle. Amazingly, it reads books aloud! It's a new, experimental feature so they don't seem to be advertising it as widely as you would expect. Here's the blurb from Amazon:

Here's a guy on YouTube doing a demo.

There's controversy over it with some publishers not wanting competition with their audiobooks so not all content is available, but still! I think it's good. Audiobooks tend to be availble only in quite a limited range, particularly not enough nonfiction.
  5. Carrigon

Carrigon Senior Member

PA, USA
    I actually tried a voice command thing for my pc because I thought if I was too sick to type it would help. But then I found it was just as exhausting to have to keep telling it to do stuff :D
  6. Emootje

Emootje Senior Member

The Netherlands
    I'am using TextAloud with NeoSpeech Paul
  7. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    Windows' built-in reader cannot be controlled. It just starts reading from the upper left of the active window. IOW, it reads your menu first and everything else it sees.

How's that working out for you?
  8. Emootje

Emootje Senior Member

The Netherlands
    It works great for me. In TextAloud you can look at the text while the software is reading. I have never tried books but it works great for medical articles and other cut and paste-able stuff.
    Emootje
  9. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    I downloaded TextAloud. It works well. Between TextAloud and IVONA, each one has a small difference the other does not. I can't decide between the two of them.

And now off topic. For anyone who is interested you can read free audiobooks off the web. Of course, they are all older books that can be legally distributed this way. But there are a lot of good ones.
  10. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    I came back here to thank you for mentioning TextAloud. After more testing, I found it to be better than the rest. It has helped me tremendously. I can now listen to articles that were too hard to read before.

BTW, where did you buy NeoSpeech Paul for use in TextAloud?

See more popular forum discussions.