Surprisingly good outcomes for people who get ME/CFS after Mononucleosis (Glandular Fever)
Sometimes ME/CFS emerges after mononucleosis, or glandular fever. Simon McGrath shares results from a long-term follow-up study from Haukeland University Hospital in Norway...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4) deficiency in CFS and the connection to folate metabolism

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Joopiter76, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City
    Hi Alcyone,

A friend of mine had some skin cream of a chemo drug to get rid of some precancerous skin on her face. She had a terrible depressive crash and all sorts of symptoms of the type you might expect from a folate antagonist which many chemo drugs are. She went up from her usual 800mcg of Metafolin and intermittent MeCbl to 4000mcg of Metafolin and 4000mcg of MeCbl and the depression and other symptoms receded strongly over several days. For the second round of the drug she took the Metafolin and MeCbl starting a day ahead and throughout the 2 week cycle and had no side effects at all unlike the first cycle.

Being cold all the time is an explicit B12 deficiency symptom.

2. Rolo

Rolo Too ill to twist

Antwerp, Belgium

I'm confused. I would think there's rather a problem with low NO, not to much. I found different threads on this forum that explains that the a high percentage of PwMe have a to low NO level. Especially when you have autistic like symptoms.

Rolo

3. Rolo

Rolo Too ill to twist

Antwerp, Belgium

To increase BH4? Will long and really hot baths also work? Sweating means release of ammonia. Less ammonia means more available BH4, right? Or is there something special about sauna's that is beneficial for BH4.

Thanks,
    Rolo

4. Crappy

Crappy Senior Member

TX
    Hi Triffid,

Your comments about necessary hormone levels didn't seem to gain much traction here, but I certainly hear you. I must say I have had the same theory for some time now. I get best results when adequate hormones are maintained, they are pivotal to success of any regiment. Unfortunately our knowledge of hormones is elementary, like BH4 is; just look at all the controversy surrounding HGH, still.

Hi Rolo,

I have been trying to comprehend why Sauna would have any effect at all on BH4 and you helped it make some sense with your comment, thanks.

Triffid and Rolo,

Are either of you aware of any new developments lately on the 1). BH4 availability front? 2). BH4 pathway enhancement through nutrition manipulation? OR 3). research as BH4 pertains to ME?

Thanks,

Crappy

Gondwanaland likes this.
  5. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    skyebean, helen1 and Gondwanaland like this.

See more popular forum discussions.