Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Tests show high blood sugar, but I've been on a low carb/sugar diet !...?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Bansaw, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

I've never had blood sugar issues before but I went on a Paleo diet three months ago.
    I've lost some weight which is a good thing, but my blood glucose is 118 (range is 65-99).

My doc says, "cut down on carbs". But the truth is I've never been on such a low carb season in my entire life. I don't even do potatoes and rice, and I virtually have no white sugar since 2012.
    This is really confusing that I am on a low carb/sugar diet but my blood sugar is higher than ever.

(Other factors, I have slight kidney inflammation and Creatinite level of 1.32.
    I take Kombucha which is supposed to help regulate blood glucose
    I am on a Lyme traetment Samento/Banderol/Cumanda).

Perplexed :thumbdown:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  2. anni66

anni66 mum to ME daughter

scotland
    Liver function suspect. Try getting this checked.

Isaiah 58:11 likes this.
  3. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

HPA-axis dysfunction, high cortisol. Low carb causes high cortisol, cortisol creates glucose (gluconeogenesis). Normally blood sugar shouldn't go that high, but with hpa-axis issues, all bets are off.

anni66 likes this.
  4. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

Yeah, my HPA axis has been down for a few years now. Doctor recommends Biotics Research, Cytozyme-PT/HPT.
    I might try it.

5. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

Low carb might not work if you have hpa-axis issues because of the need for cortisol.

6. Learner1

Learner1 Professional Patient

Pacific Northwest
    There was a thread around here that says its generally no big deal if you're on a low carb diet. Your body may be trying to compensate.

I'll see if I can find it.

Edited to add:
    Can't find it now, but chromium, manganese, and benfotiamine all help improve blood sugar. Could you be deficient in any of these?

7. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

I found something on Paleo boosting blood sugar. Anymore evidence would be appreciated:
    https://health.usnews.com/health-ne...ght-gain-and-boost-blood-sugar-study-suggests

And , can the blood sugar levels be normalized again by introducing more carbs back in slowly ?

8. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

9. Timaca

Timaca Senior Member

10. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    Was your blood test done while you were fasting? How long had you been away from food or beverage, other than water?

11. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

12. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Happened to me to after a while on a ketogenic paleo diet. FBG and HbA1c shot up to the top of the lab range, having previously been normal.

Look up physiological insulin resistance and gluconeogenesis.

Eating carbs does not cause diabetes. This is an internet myth that has infected some medical doctors. Endocrinologists in particular seem to be utterly clueless about human metabolism and just parrot the latest fads.

anni66 and Gondwanaland like this.

See more popular forum discussions.