A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Tests of blood-borne DNA pinpoint tissue damage

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Marco, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    When diseases cause tissue damage DNA fragments are released into the bloodstream. When a disease primarily causes damage to a specific organ or cell (pancreatic cancer, pancreatic beta cells in diabetes, brain oligodendrocytes in MS or glial/neuronal death in traumatic brain injury) it may be possible to identify the 'unique signature' from a simple blood test.

It would be nice to apply this technology to ME/CFS although I suspect you would need to have a fair idea where where you should be looking :

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/03/tests-blood-borne-dna-pinpoint-tissue-damage

2. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    When Myhill tested me I had a VERY high cell free DNA - would this be related in any way?

3. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    Hard to know without knowing what test she uses?

4. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    Its part of the mito profile done through acumen. Just says 'Cell free DNA' its a blood test if that helps...

5. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    From what I can see, unless you're looking for something specific, it's just a non-specific indication and normal values can vary markedly.

justy likes this.
  6. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

If you don't distinguish nuclear and mitochondrial DNA what you will get from a measurement of cell-free DNA could be almost entirely mitochondrial DNA. Mitochondria outnumber nuclei by factors of thousands. This seems a reasonable measure for a mitochondrial panel, but it won't identify specific tissues because every living human cell has mitochondria.

I'm also curious about the way they deal with viral DNA. Recall that at least 8% of human genomes are viral DNA.

Valentijn likes this.
  7. Justin30

Justin30 Senior Member

Maybe they could try the test on early diagnosed ME. See where the cells are sheading from then possibly look for early intervention strategies.

Just a thought. I think organ damage in ME comes about much later at least from what I have read.

See more popular forum discussions.