• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Testing Negative for Lyme - Could It Be A False Negative?

Dufresne

almost there...
There are definitely problems with Lyme testing. I tested negative by ELISA in 2006, and then again two weeks back. Yet the following is what I received from Igenex a few months ago:

Lyme IgG western blot
Igenex result - positive
CDC/NYS -negative
**34 kDa +
**41 kDa +
58 kDa +

Lyme IgM western blot
Igenex result - positive
CDC/NYS result - positive
**31 kDa +++
**39 kDa +
**41 kDa ++
**83-93 kDa +

Babesia FISH (RNA) positive

B. Ducani IFA (G/M)
IgM 20
IgG 40

HGE PANEL (granulocytic)
IgM <20
IgG <40

B. Henselae IFA (G/M)
IgM < 20
IgM 40

HME PANEL (monocytic)
IgM < 20
IgG < 40

I think it's interesting the IgM (indicating current infection) is the one that came back CDC positive while I'm testing negative by ELISA, which is supposed to be a sensitive test for current infection, if not specific. And for the record I hadn't done any antimicrobial therapy before either ELISA.

But based on the facts that my red blood cells show a high degree of infection under a dark field microscope (which could correspond to the Babesia), a huge die-off reaction from taking doxycylcline, and a whole lot of corresponding symptoms and abnormal labs, I'm choosing to treat for Lyme Disease.

Hopefully in the future the new culture test will clear things up somewhat for those suspecting Lyme Disease. Here's the link to the thread discussing that:

forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?14236-New-Lyme-disease-culture-test-now-available!&highlight=lyme+test

Anyone able to read Ignex Western Blot tests? I cannot get the ordering physician to interpret mine. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Ignex panel results were as follows:

(Lyme IgM Western Blot)

IGENEX IGM RESULTS NEGATIVE
CDC/NYS RESULTS NEGATIVE

18kDa -
**23-25 kDa -
28kDa -
30kDa -
**31kDa -
**34kDa -
**39kDa -
**41kDa IND
45kDa -
58kDa -
66kDa -
**83-93kDa -

(Lyme IgG Western Blot)

IGENEX IGG RESULTS NEGATIVE
CDC/NYS RESULTS NEGATIVE

18kDa -
**23-25 kDa -
28kDa -
30kDa -
**31kDa -
**34kDa IND
**39kDa IND
**41kDa ++
45kDa -
58kDa -
66kDa -
**83-93kDa -

Timaca

mlccc~
You have one band that is positive, band 41. Lots of healthy people test positive for that band. Lyme is not the cause of your issues. I would look elsewhere. Start with this page: http://chronicfatigue.stanford.edu/overview/diagnosis.html If you don't have these problems then start looking at the "Infections" tab on the same website and test for the other pathogens listed.

Best, Timaca

The best unbiased overview of the Lyme situation - Everything is a mess

I ran across an article today on Lyme that I thought was very good (I have Lyme). I was struck by the following comments on tests that rely on finding Lyme antibodies:

Since most of us have compromised immune systems, it would seem to make sense to be suspicious of any false negative tests we may have gotten, especially if we present with strong clinical symptoms for Lyme.

The entire article:

"Treating Lyme Disease
It's Much More Than Killing the Bugs
Three Essential Keys to Your Recovery
"

I had heard of both false positives and negatives for Lyme tests, but had never understood the reason why there can be false negatives. This seems to be one of the reasons.

Best, Wayne

I've been trying to determine if I have CFS or Chronic Lyme and its not easy. If you really want to understand the Lyme situation, this is the best overview of the state of the science, medicine, politics, controversy, legislation etc...

Anyone with CFS really should read this just in case they have Lyme mistaken for CFS given it appears it may either be a subset or closely related in its underlying mechanisms. The controversy makes it hard to get a straight story but here it is:

murakamicentreforlymebc.giving.officelive.com/Documents/Schmidt Report on Lyme Disease in BC - May 2010.pdf

Lotus97

I'm not sure if my doctor will believe I have lyme. I don't think I need to be tested for Lyme since I've had a recurring rash where I was bitten and my symptoms all happened after that. Plus my rhematoid factor, sedimentation rate, Monocytes, and eosinophils are all high. My question is what do I do about getting tested for other possible co infections? Are these tests important? Is there any way to know without getting tested such as by symptoms or geographical location? As far as the last thing, don't visit Wisconsin!

Wayne

I'm not sure if my doctor will believe I have lyme. I don't think I need to be tested for Lyme since I've had a recurring rash where I was bitten and my symptoms all happened after that. Plus my rhematoid factor, sedimentation rate, Monocytes, and eosinophils are all high. My question is what do I do about getting tested for other possible co infections? Are these tests important? Is there any way to know without getting tested such as by symptoms or geographical location? As far as the last thing, don't visit Wisconsin!

Hi Lotus,

I grew up in Wisconsin! I often wonder whether the high incidence of Alzheimer's back there is connected to the high incidence of Lyme, both diagnosed and undiagnosed. Regarding other tests: My take is that they are important. Certain antibiotics work well against some Lyme co-infections, but not at all against others. --- I just discovered a website that may give you more indepth information on this Lyme topic (and others): TheBetterHealthGuy.com website

Lotus97

Hi Lotus,

I grew up in Wisconsin! I often wonder whether the high incidence of Alzheimer's back there is connected to the high incidence of Lyme, both diagnosed and undiagnosed. Regarding other tests: My take is that they are important. Certain antibiotics work well against some Lyme co-infections, but not at all against others. --- I just discovered a website that may give you more indepth information on this Lyme topic (and others): TheBetterHealthGuy.com website
Thanks. I went to summer camp there for a few years. Got a tick bite on one of our canoe trips. The only thing I was worried about then was getting bitten by leeches. On a Lyme website they had a map of the US and it seems Wisconsin is a hot spot for Lyme. Is it possible to be bitten by a tick and get a co infection, but not have Lyme? I'll see what my doctor says about testing for co infections. Even though she is in integrative medicine, has recommended accupuncture, massage, and supplements for fibromyalgia I'm not sure if she'll be interested in pursuing the Lyme angle. At best she might order some Lyme test covered by my insurance which I was told by another doctor that it tends to get a lot of false negatives.

Lotus97

My doctor seems skeptical about me having Lyme, but said she might have my antibodies tested. Even if that doesn't tell me whether or not I have Lyme, is it still useful knowing what my antibodies are? How do I interpret the results? If there are any threads about it I'd like to know also.