1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: In Free Fall Through the Looking Glass
Jody Smith continues to try to put into words the horror of the altered state that hobbles the brains of those with ME/CFS...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Testing methylation, which panel to choose from ELN?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Thinktank, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Bangkok, Thailand
    I'd like to know my methylation status so i'm planning to have it tested.
    The european laboratory of nutritients in the Netherlands offers two different panels.
    Should i better do both panels or just one?
    Which other biomarkers should i test for that play a major role in methylation? I want to have my methylation status checked extensively before starting a protocol.
    The orderform can be found here: http://www.europeanlaboratory.nl/documents/en/orderform_en.pdf

Mentioned on the orderform:
    glutathione (oxidized), glutathione (reduced), S-adenosyl-methionine (RBC), S-adenosylhomocysteine (RBC), tetrahydrofolate (THF), 5-methyl-THF, 10-formyl-THF, 5-formyl-THF, folic acid, folinic acid, folic acid (RBC), adenosine

(sorry it's in Dutch)
    Panel 1:
    Foliumzuurmetabolieten: Foliumzuur (plasma + RBC), Folinezuur (plasma),
    Tetrahydrofoliumzuur (THF, plasma), 5-methyl-tetrahydrofoliumzuur (5-methyl-THF,
    plasma), 5-formyl-Tetrahydrofoliumzuur (5-formyl-THF, plasma), 10-formyltetrahydrofoliumzuur
    (10-formyl-THF, plasma).

Panel 2:
    Methylation panel: Foliumzuurmetabolieten + Methyl-cobalamine (methyl-vitamine B12,
    plasma), S-adenesylmethionine (SAM) (RBC), S-Adenesylhomocysteine (SAH, RBC)

Other things i'm planning to check up for methylation at ELN:
    Carnitine
    16 Vitamin Panel
    CoQ10
    Lipoic acid
    Homocysteine

Not related to methylation:
    Neurotramsitters in RBC
    Cortisol curve 24h saliva + DHEA
    ACTH
    Angiotensin II
  2. Helen

Helen Senior Member

Sweden
    @Thinktank
    I can only comment on the "methylation panel" that I had before the startup with a methylation protocol, and another one more than a year after. At that time the panel from the sister lab in U.S had one (?) more analysis included. Maybe they are the same today. I choose the lab in US for what I considered good reasons .

I was surprised to see that the reduced glutathion had increased just a little, and was still below reference range. A Lyme diagnose could well explain the extra demand on gluthathione. A reflexion as I read your post about your new diagnosis.

Did you see the "Interpretation guide" of the methylation panel that Richvank posted?
  3. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Bangkok, Thailand
    @Helen , i will ask ELN in the Netherlands what the missing biomarker is in comparison to the panel from it's sister lab.

Did your result show any other remarkable findings except reduced glutathione?

Yes i've read Rich's interpretation guide and his opinion of glutathione in lyme disease.
    Do you perhaps know if anyone has benefited from IV glutathione to reduce the neurotoxic effects from borrelia or co-infections?
  4. Helen

Helen Senior Member

Sweden
    @Thinktank

You can compare the actual parameters from ELN with those that are analysed in U.S. here
    http://www.hdri-usa.com/tests/methylation/

No, just some low and high but nothing remarkable. I think SAMe was low the first time. I had been on and off MeCbl injections for more than 15 years then - maybe that had had a positive impact.

No I haven´t heard of anyone, but a doctor who is a friend of mine suggested IV gluthathione when he heard of my possible Lyme diagnose. But how to get it? Here it is given on ER or at intense care wards (right?) when people have taken too many paracetamol pills that might damage the liver very fast. KDM should have an idea about this treatment, but I don´t think he has embraced the idea of the methylation blockage completely. He surely knows of the benefits of glutathione. Some bright people here are patients of KDM and under treatment for Lyme, maybe anyone of them can tell.
    Thinktank likes this.
  5. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    @Thinktank

I've heard that ELN in the Netherlands will let you add extra elements to the test to match the ones offered in the US.

Sushi
    Thinktank likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.