Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Testing: is it even worth it?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease and Co-Infections' started by bspg, Nov 27, 2017.

1. bspg

bspg Plant Queen

USA
    My doctor wants me to have all of the specialized labs done for TBD's. My insurance won't cover ANY of the testing so it'd be a huge chunk of change out of pocket. Like, thousands of dollars.

With all the controversy over TBD testing (and treatment) is it even worth getting tested? I don't recall ever being bit by a tick. My 'standard testing' results came back equivocal for Ehrlichia IgG but nothing else.

Thoughts?

2. Aubry

Aubry Senior Member

I hear many people recover with TBD treatments so maybe it is worth?

3. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    Which tests specifically are they recommending you get?

I went through this same dilemma, and decided in the end it wasn't worth it. I simply couldn't find any convincing evidence that the commercial tests are at all valid or reliable. A test with unknown reliability is worse than getting no testing at all, because it may lead you down an unnecessary treatment pathway with its own risk and expense.

Sandman00747, bspg and mrquasar like this.
  4. MartinDH

MartinDH Senior Member

Isn't the ELISA test reliable? If not, then why?
    The german Robert-Koch-Institut says ELISA is the first stage of testing. Only if this one is positive then you have to be tested if the infection is active.. or so....

In Germany insurance pays for these tests. But I can see from the laboratory report that it costs 7 €... not that expensive....

notmyself likes this.
  5. bspg

bspg Plant Queen

USA
    The Igenex and Galaxy labs testing.

I've read really mixed things about it. Some say it's fine, others not specific enough. I've had two different doctors (MD and DO) tell me that speciality labs are more accurate.

There's plenty of arguments online about this topic so I won't go into it here. But long story short: if the testing accuracy is not great or unknown, I don't know if it's worth getting the tests.

6. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    Unless those labs can produce replicated, controlled and peer reviewed evidence that their testing is effective, then we have no reason to trust them.

mrquasar and bspg like this.
  7. MartinDH

MartinDH Senior Member

I have never seen such a statement from a doctor who does not collaborate with a laboratory offering one of these "special" tests ... and those laboratories have good reasons to recommend their tests since the ELISA costs 7 € :)

Furthermore: There are many false positives in these "special" tests... we had a thread about that recently. So what do you think: The ELISA is negative but the special test is positive. Which test is not reliable?

bspg likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.