• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Testing for OverMethylation?

Hi,

What experience/opinions do you guys have with testing relating to methylation?

Based on long standing symptoms and recent methyl supplement reactions, I now suspect I am an over-methyator.

Symptoms - I have an absence of seasonal allergies, high sensitivity to perfumes, high levels of internal anxiety, tendancy to overreact to things, struggle with depression, have a high empathy for others and neck/head pain.

Recent experience - I got very hot and angry/aggressive on Solgar MetaFolin and to a lesser degree Methyl B12. I am calm and relaxed shortly after taking niacin (whether taking B12/Methly Folate or not).
I am now taking Folinic Acid, occasionally some Folic Acid (Yes, I know!) and HydroxyB12 and do well with all of them.

I would like to have some tests to see if I am a true over-methylator, because I also wonder if my symptoms and experience come from my specific snps. COMT, MAO A and and to some degree VDR Taq could be biasing my opinion to a false conclusion.

I have considered testing for histamines (as a guide for methylation status), Serotonin/dopamine (for mood and drive), Cu/Zn (for irritability). What do people thing of the NutrEval test, I know it is expensive, but does appear to be very comprehensive.

Many thanks for any comments or advice you may have.

TheChosenOne

I have similar experiences. When I take methylB12, I feel either way more energetic or I have to lay down. It gives me very bad anxiety. I have no problems tolerating MetaFolin (but I take it together with hydroxyB12, which absorbs methyldonors). Niacinamide also makes me calm, but if I take it without methylsupport, it makes me depressed.
I didn't know that head/neck pain is related to overmethyltion, but I have that too from time to time.
I have no idea what kind of tests you can run in this regard.

TheChosenOne

You have a A1298C mutation which affects BH4. You might want to supplement with it since you also have CBS C699T+.

What other supplements have you ordered?

I have considered BH4 previously as I think I have a number of issues around that cycle. However, I'm not sure if it is available here in the UK?

I've ordered Coenzymated B-3, FMN, Calcium d-glucarate (for estrogen metabolism), ubiquinol/PQQ (energy), activated charcoal/mag oxide (Ammonia), molybdenum and boron.