Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Testing for OverMethylation?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by U410167, May 22, 2015.

1. U410167

U410167

Hi,

What experience/opinions do you guys have with testing relating to methylation?

Based on long standing symptoms and recent methyl supplement reactions, I now suspect I am an over-methyator.

Symptoms - I have an absence of seasonal allergies, high sensitivity to perfumes, high levels of internal anxiety, tendancy to overreact to things, struggle with depression, have a high empathy for others and neck/head pain.

Recent experience - I got very hot and angry/aggressive on Solgar MetaFolin and to a lesser degree Methyl B12. I am calm and relaxed shortly after taking niacin (whether taking B12/Methly Folate or not).
    I am now taking Folinic Acid, occasionally some Folic Acid (Yes, I know!) and HydroxyB12 and do well with all of them.

I would like to have some tests to see if I am a true over-methylator, because I also wonder if my symptoms and experience come from my specific snps. COMT, MAO A and and to some degree VDR Taq could be biasing my opinion to a false conclusion.

I have considered testing for histamines (as a guide for methylation status), Serotonin/dopamine (for mood and drive), Cu/Zn (for irritability). What do people thing of the NutrEval test, I know it is expensive, but does appear to be very comprehensive.

Many thanks for any comments or advice you may have.

2. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Senior Member

I have similar experiences. When I take methylB12, I feel either way more energetic or I have to lay down. It gives me very bad anxiety. I have no problems tolerating MetaFolin (but I take it together with hydroxyB12, which absorbs methyldonors). Niacinamide also makes me calm, but if I take it without methylsupport, it makes me depressed.
    I didn't know that head/neck pain is related to overmethyltion, but I have that too from time to time.
    I have no idea what kind of tests you can run in this regard.

3. U410167

U410167

4. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Senior Member

You have a A1298C mutation which affects BH4. You might want to supplement with it since you also have CBS C699T+.

What other supplements have you ordered?

5. U410167

U410167

I have considered BH4 previously as I think I have a number of issues around that cycle. However, I'm not sure if it is available here in the UK?

I've ordered Coenzymated B-3, FMN, Calcium d-glucarate (for estrogen metabolism), ubiquinol/PQQ (energy), activated charcoal/mag oxide (Ammonia), molybdenum and boron.

See more popular forum discussions.