1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Testing for Dysautonomia

Discussion in 'Problems Standing: Orthostatic Intolerance; POTS' started by Allyson, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    Testing for EDS - related POTS

The Mayo laboratory utilizes two test batteries, the autonomic reflex screen (ARS) and the reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD) screen. The former comprises the quantitative sudomotor axon reflex test (QSART), orthostatic blood pressure (BP) and heart rate (HR) responses to tilt, HR response to deep breathing, the Valsalva ratio, and beat-to-beat BP responses to the Valsalva maneuver, tilt, and deep breathing. The RSD screen comprises the recording of skin temperature, resting sweat output, and QSART distributions bilaterally.

Quantitative Sensory Testing (QST) is a valuable method for diagnosing peripheral nervous system disorders, including chronic pain and pain related to various diseases, such as Diabetes and CRPS. QST essentially determines the sensation and pain thresholds for cold and warm temperatures, and the vibration sensation threshold by stimulating the skin and comparing the results to normative values built in the software. When the stimulus activates stimuli-specific receptors; the nerve fibers that innervate the receptors communicate the stimuli's message to the central nervous system, where feeling occurs. http://www.medoc-web.com/about-us/technology/technique

Ally

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    NK17 likes this.
  2. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    If you "Google around," I think you'll find that these are tests of the autonomic nervous system rather than specifically for POTS or EDS.

Sushi

SOC and Valentijn like this.

See more popular forum discussions.