• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

test results... how to interpret?

Here are my results... the doctor says it shows recent infection of EBV and a milder infection of CMV... also tested for HHV6 and PV-B19.

Can someone help shed some light on these numbers... I really don't know much about the testing, I'm sure some of you are experts.

EBV INTERPRETATIONS:

ACUTE INFECTION: NA IGG - NEGATIVE VCA IGG - POSITIVE VCA IGM - POSITIVE
CONVALESCENCE EARLY: NA IGG - POSITIVE VCA IGG - POSITIVE VCA IGM - POSITIVE
CONVALESCENCE LATE: NA IGG - NEGATIVE VCA IGG - POSITIVE VCA IGM - NEGATIVE
PREVIOUS INFECTION: NA IGG - NEGATIVE VCA IGG - POSITIVE VCA IGM - NEGATIVE
REACTIVATED INFECTION: NA IGG - POSITIVE VCA IGG - POSITIVE VCA IGM - POS/NEG

Epstein Barr VGA IGG AB: 4.17
EBV Nuclear AG(EBNA)(IGG): >5.00

CMV IGG AB: 1.90
CMV IGM AB: 0.32

Parvovirus B19 AB (IGG,M): <blank on page>
Parvovirus B19 AB (IGM): 0.1

Herpesvirus 6 AB (IGG): 1:40 H
Herpesvirus 6 AB (IGM): <1:20
INTERPRETATION: PAST INFECTION

I am clear that PVB19 is negative, but what about everything else? Any input is much appreciated

SOC

Different labs have different reference ranges, so it's hard to tell what these numbers mean without the reference range attached.

Your HHV-6 AB (IGG) looks like it's labled 'H' for high, but that's just a guess. Based on the EBV Interpretation report, your EBV titres are both positive (indicating a recent new infection or a reactivation), but we can't tell if they're a little high or a lot high without reference ranges.

Do you have any reference range information on your report?

... yes, sorry to forget it:

EBV range:
< or = 0.90: NEGATIVE
0.91 to 1.09: EQUIVOCAL
> or = 1.10: POSITIVE

(this applies to all parts of EBV test)

CMV IGG range:
< or = 0.90: NEGATIVE
0.91 to 1.09: EQUIVOCAL
> or = 1.10: POSITIVE

CMV IGM range:
0.00 to 0.89: NEGATIVE FOR ANTIBODIES TO CMV IGM
0.90 to 1.10 EQUIVOCAL
GREATER THAN 1.10: POSITIVE

HHV 6 REFERENCE RANGE
IgG <1:10
IgM <1:20

SOC

Speaking as a patient, not a medical professional, this is how I understand these lab results.

The EBV VGA IGG says you've been exposed to EBV. Since your EBNA is high, this is probably a reactivation rather than a first infection because it takes a few months for it to appear after the first infection, then you have it for life. It looks like both titres are pretty high, but I'm not sure. If your doc thinks you have an active infection, I'd guess the titres are uncommonly high. :)

Your CMV IGG shows you've been exposed, but the low CMV IGM suggests that it's not currently active or chronic. Same for your HHV-6 titres. This all assumes that your body is making antibodies properly, which is not the case with all PWME.