1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Fable known as The PACE Trial
Graham, Janelle and Bob, have once again excelled themselves with their latest take on the 'poisoned apple' that was the PACE Trial...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Test Cash Price for the Uninsured

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by Little Bluestem, May 16, 2013.

1. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    I saw my physician recently. When we were discussing tests, she mentioned one that cost over $200 (it may have been the Genova Diagnostics NutraEval). I reminded her that I do not have insurance. She checked the cash price and it was $70.

I don’t know how many testing companies do this, but it would be worth inquiring if you have no insurance and are thinking of having some testing done.

Some hospitals also provide assistance with the cost of having tests done.
    Sherlock and Marianarchy like this.
  2. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    Neuroscience does this also, I recently had some testing done, and if I used my insurance, and it was not covered by my insurance, it would cost about $400, but if I paid, and then tried to get the insurance to reimburse, the cost would be $350 or less, not sure of the numbers. I have an HSA from work, so I used that and just need to fill out the insurance form to see what I get back, if anything.

GG
    Valentijn and Little Bluestem like this.
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I had testing from them too a year or so ago, also cheaper without the insurance. If I recall correctly, it's actually on the order form itself, so you don't even have to talk to Neuroscience to get the cheaper non-insurance price.
  4. invisiblejungle

invisiblejungle Senior Member

Chicago suburbs
    In regards to the NutrEval, the price is around $700 if you don't have insurance. I ordered the test believing that it was going to cost $70, but it turned out that Genova is lying about their pricing. My practitioner was told by her salesperson that uninsured people get a discount through their PayAssured program, but in actuality the discount only applies for people who already have insurance.
  5. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    Yes, I think I was off by an order of magnitude in my original post. The regular price of the test is around $2,000 and the cash price is $700. :sluggish:
    Valentijn likes this.
  6. Sherlock

Sherlock bicarb for exercise recovery and taming candida

US
    I've seen reports of people paying less for a CT by paying cash than they would pay if they turned it in to their insurance and paid the deductible. So some hospitals/testing centers are now putting up web pages listing prices.

See more popular forum discussions.