Choline on the Brain? A Guide to Choline in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
http://phoenixrising.me/research-2/the-brain-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs/choline-on-the-brain-a-guide-to-choline-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-by-cort-johnson-aug-2005
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Test bloods for serotonin, dopamine etc?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by fibrodude84, Sep 16, 2014.

1. fibrodude84

fibrodude84 Senior Member

Has anyone had a blood test to measure serotonin, dopamine, epinephrine etc? I don't know if they exist, are reliable or not but I'm wondering if this may be a deficiency in CFS that we can help with the right dosage in anti-depressant whether we are depressed or not?

2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

These tests are not useful to determine the right dosage or type of antidepressant.

In my opinion, if you're mildly depressed try some 5-htp before an antidepressant. 5-htp has a more beneficial side effect profile. If the depression is serious you should see a professional.

3. fibrodude84

fibrodude84 Senior Member

I'm on antidepressant but no psych ever checked for this and I know some of these can play a significant role in fatigue.

4. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

I've had a 24 hour urine test to measure epinephrine/norepinephrine/dopamine levels. My epinephrine levels were nil and norepinephrine levels were bordering on low.

HDRI has a catecholamine in platelets blood test that looks interesting. It's $365 though if you want the full panel (epinephrine/norepinephrine/dopamine/serotonin/histamine/acetylcholine), or $85 for each individual analyte.

5. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Unfortunately, the amount of seretonine, dopamine in your blood and urine does not necessari.ly correlate with what is happening in your brain. It's not the amount that makes a difference but how efficiently your brain's ability to access the seretonine in your brain.

http://www.webmd.com/depression/how-different-antidepressants-work

There are so many things we don't know about the brain. Some say space will be the new frontier of knowledge but sometimes I wonder if it is the brain.

It's a fascinating subject.

Barb

fibrodude84 likes this.
  6. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

I've had them tested once via urine and twice via blood platelets. My norepinephrine was low in each test, and taking an NRI helped with my OI problems. I don't have any issues with depression.

fibrodude84 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.