• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

terrible stomach bug and now a cold (thats odd!)

snowathlete

Since getting ME about four years ago i havent had many illnesses, despite several coming into the family.

About three or four months ago i got a terrible stomach virus that i picked up off some relatives who visited for the day. it was really bad. i felt terrible, much worse than normal when you have these things. But, i figured, maybe it was just a particularly bad one...though i didnt really believe that.

Last week we went to a birthday party for my daughters friend, and some had had a stomach bug that is doing the rounds in the UK, particularly the South West at the moment. A few days later i got it, and today is the first day i feel not dreadful. I felt so so ill yesterday. I'm a grown man and i was tears. It seems that the ME made it feel worse than it should. My 18 month old seemed to shake it off pretty fast and carried on mostly as normal too.

OK, so today i am eating for the first time and the last couple of hours i am now getting my wife's cold. This is unusual for me, i have had one full cold since getting ME and so this seems interesting to me, as i am usually pretty immune to colds.

Couple of questions.
Why are stomach bugs worse with ME? Anyone else experience that?
Why am I usually immune to colds, but not stomach bugs?
How might having the stomach bug change my immune system so that I got this cold?