• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Terpenes = reduced PEM

NotThisGuy

I thought I might give terpenes a try.
Today I tested D-Limonene (I only smelled it).

The first minutes were horrible because it made my mast cells degranulate.
But after a few minutes I became incredible calm.
My POTS got worse for 1 hour but in the Long term the positive effect remained without any side effects
I also went Shopping for grocery (about 100-200 meter Walking plus 15 minutes driving a car) and my PEM was very mild. Usually I would be in agony thinking I might die soon after 100-200 meter Walking.

Going to try soon the other 5 Basic terpenes found in Cannabis.

Here are two Shops who only sell extracts from organic grown Food:

UK:
https://www.terpenes-uk.co.uk/isolates
US:
https://buy-terpenes.com/product-category/true-terpenes/terpene-isolates/

Wishful

I tried turpentine once. I forget why it was supposed to possibly reduce immune system activation, but at the time I was desperate enough to try anything. It didn't have a noticeable effect. I think I tried balsam poplar buds around that time too. Fairly pleasant flavour at first. Then it got hotter, and hotter, and hotter. Luckily there was plenty of snow around to quench the burning sensation. No effect on my symptoms though.

Oh the crazy things we try...

So you just sniff them? And they are nice to smell? And that in itself is enough to reduce PEM?

NotThisGuy

So you just sniff them? And they are nice to smell? And that in itself is enough to reduce PEM?
smells like heaven ;) tried it twice and it is still working.
still dont know if the mast cell reaction to it might draw my adrenals.... I will Report after Long term use.

smells like heaven ;) tried it twice and it is still working.
still dont know if the mast cell reaction to it might draw my adrenals.... I will Report after Long term use.
You know, I was a bit bemused earlier, but now you've got me wondering.

A couple of springs ago, I got quite bad hay fever. It lasted about 6 weeks and was the best period in my life healthwise in the past four years. Almost as if the hay fever somehow 'distracted' my immune system or something (I know, it could be the other way around, I got hay fever because I was feeling better, but still its curious).

I thought if I could only bottle the whatever that sets off the hay fever, maybe I could repeat that.

NotThisGuy

You know, I was a bit bemused earlier, but now you've got me wondering.

A couple of springs ago, I got quite bad hay fever. It lasted about 6 weeks and was the best period in my life healthwise in the past four years. Almost as if the hay fever somehow 'distracted' my immune system or something (I know, it could be the other way around, I got hay fever because I was feeling better, but still its curious).

I thought if I could only bottle the whatever that sets off the hay fever, maybe I could repeat that.

either your immunsystem was distracted or something in the air made you feel better + gave you hay fever.
could be phytohormones or the terpenes in pollen.

Skycloud

I had a fair amount of exposure to turpentine in the past . I'm struggling with this idea.

NotThisGuy

yeah i've read into turpentine. It really seems like a bad idea.
Didn't find any study to Food grade terpenes though.
Only that Food grade d-Limonene is sold by jarrow as supplement

Wishful

I don't think it was crazy to try turpentine. It was only a small amount. At the time I didn't know what I had, but I did know that the medical system was utterly refusing to do anything to help me. I was at the point when I didn't care if I died. I'm not sure that part's changed. :(

I guess I shouldn't mention crushing LED's for the gallium arsenide to see if arsenic would help. :rolleyes:

Skycloud

I don't think it was crazy to try turpentine. It was only a small amount. At the time I didn't know what I had, but I did know that the medical system was utterly refusing to do anything to help me. I was at the point when I didn't care if I died. I'm not sure that part's changed. :(

I guess I shouldn't mention crushing LED's for the gallium arsenide to see if arsenic would help. :rolleyes:
I wouldn't call you crazy, but yeah, probably wise not to mention the gallium arsenide ;)

NotThisGuy

yesterday was third day of sniffing Limonene.
yesterday I was able to do Things I couldn't have done the days before Limonene!! Lifting packages of watter bottles etc.
Also went Shopping and still no huge PEM. Even was able to clean a Little bit in my house.
My sleep is deeper and more recovering. Feeling more energized in the morning.
My BM changed from IBS-D to rabbit pellets.
The rabbit pellets BM occured on the first day sniff but It's improving towards more normal BM. Still a downside of Limonene therapy...
Lot of changes at once. I really hope I'm not doing any harm to myself with Limonene, but so far it doesn't feel like I'm doing any harm.

Learner1

JES

yesterday I was able to do Things I couldn't have done the days before Limonene!! Lifting packages of watter bottles etc.
Also went Shopping and still no huge PEM. Even was able to clean a Little bit in my house.
My sleep is deeper and more recovering. Feeling more energized in the morning.
My BM changed from IBS-D to rabbit pellets.
The rabbit pellets BM occured on the first day sniff but It's improving towards more normal BM. Still a downside of Limonene therapy...
Lot of changes at once. I really hope I'm not doing any harm to myself with Limonene, but so far it doesn't feel like I'm doing any harm.

Interesting. Just FYI, you can also buy food grade d-Limonene such as the one sold here. Apparently it's a popular supplement among those with acid reflux / GERD, but I also read it might be useful for bile flow and digestion. I will try this approach instead of sniffing, intuitively it sounds safer to me.

NotThisGuy

yes, but the ingredients are a nightmare for someone with MACD.
instead of sniffing you can dilute the pure d-Limonene with water.
Just don't know how someone can take 1000mg of d-Limonene at one go.

Hip

Some time ago I tried a one-off oral dose of 1000 mg D-limonene, and did not notice anything.

Do you have mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS)?

What D-limonene is very good for, though, is cleaning off the gluey residue of sticky labels on products. Far better than alcohol, which usually does not work. I have never met a sticky label glue that cannot be removed with D-limonene. Turpentine is also excellent for this purpose, but it smells bad. Whereas D-limonene has fresh lemon scent.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Some time ago I tried a one-off oral dose of 1000 mg D-limonene, and did not notice anything.

Do you have mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS)?

What D-limonene is very good for, though, is cleaning off the gluey residue of sticky labels on products. Far better than alcohol, which usually does not work. I have never met a sticky label glue that cannot be removed with D-limonene. Turpentine is also excellent for this purpose, but it smells bad. Whereas D-limonene has fresh lemon scent.
WD40 typically works well for sticky residues

NotThisGuy

@Hip yes, i do have MCAS

@Mary I decided to take Limonene because I hoped it would reduce my Bilirubin and improve bile flow.

Day 4: Somehow the Limonene didnt smell that strong anymore. It actually started to smell sweet and like an orange.
I thought it must have gotten weaker, like oxidized or something...
Than it hit me: my chemical sensitivies weren't that strong anymore!

Day 5:I took far more sniffs of d-Limonene then before. I thought it might be the time to increase dosage after my chemical sensitives got better.
Unfortunately it knocked me out. Had to go to bed for an hour and needed to drink lots of water. I think there was too much detox going on.

I decided to stop d-Limonene after that and see how the next days will be.

Ist been almost a week now and my rabbit pallet BM is still there!! D-Limonene changed something.... well before that I had IBS-D so bowel Problems arent exactly a new Thing. Only the rabbit pallet BM.

PEM is again increased and chemical sensitivies are also back.
WIll soon sniff d-Limonene again.