1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Terminated after 20 years

Discussion in 'Finances, Work, and Disability' started by roxie60, Sep 4, 2013.

1. roxie60

roxie60 Senior Member

Central Illinois, USA
    Its official, got the letter when returned home from counselors meeting. I am crushed. 15 lousy months from retirement. Why could I not have willed myself one more time to be able to work :cry:

2. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    What does that mean for you?
    Is that mean a reduced pension etc?
    I think once i have left work it would be very hard to return??
    Roxie, i hope things work out for ya soon.

cheers!!!

beaker likes this.
  3. Hugocfs

Hugocfs Senior Member

U.S.A.
    It just wasn't possible. Try not to beat yourself up over it. All of us with careers fight tooth and nail to hold on as long as we can. I am sure you were the same. :(

Misfit Toy likes this.
  4. roxie60

roxie60 Senior Member

Central Illinois, USA
    It means a reduced pension and no pension now for another 8 years, instead of getting a small pension plus healthcare (I think) in 15 months. Thank you for the well wishes, I know it will take time for me to adjust. Ive been without income now for 6 months.

5. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    Oh Roxie60, I'm so sorry to hear that! This is a very cruel illness. Many of us know where you're coming from -- you hung on as long as you could. Try to be proud of that.

beaker and heapsreal like this.
  6. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    It just seems criminal that they could do this. Is this legal? It certainly isn't ethical, but nor is the so-called legal system.
    This is sad news.

Kati, NilaJones, L'engle and 2 others like this.
  7. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Thats no good at all. How do u survive on no income?
    Can the govt give out some type of disability pension or unemployment pension??

8. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Senior Member

West Coast USA
    Agree with some of the posts above, you did the very best you could within the constraints of a very challenging situation. Sending strength.

beaker likes this.
  9. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I'm so sorry!

Please keep calling lawyers to see if you can fight this.

Ema

Little Bluestem and beaker like this.
  10. madietodd

madietodd Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    Well that sucks. I hope you can get disability out of this.

Best of luck and hugs.

beaker likes this.
  11. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    roxie60

I agree, get a good disability or Americans with Disabilities lawyer on your side and fight this. This type of lawyer takes their fee only if they win.

So sorry you have to go through this.

Sushi

12. k-AUS

k-AUS

australia
    I'm sure that every time you went to work it was like running a marathon. We all hold on for as long as we can and most likely do a lot of damage to our health in the process (I know I did). I also think it is common to feel "if only I had made that extra last effort, I could have prevented this from happening". However every time you went to work, I'll bet you WERE putting in that extra effort.

In a nutshell, you have done your absolute best and you need to recognise this...not beat yourself up over it.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you and hope that some how you can obtain financial support. :hug:

Sparrowhawk, beaker and heapsreal like this.
  13. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Roxie, don't beat yourself up about this. If you could have made it, you would have. Is there any way you can appeal the decision? Take care.

beaker likes this.
  14. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    How awful. So sorry, Roxie. :(

I agree with Sushi, that getting a good disability attorney might be helpful, but for now I think it's appropriate and necessary to let the tears flow. It is very unfair what they did. Many hugs to you.

beaker likes this.
  15. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    So sorry this has happened Roxie. Definitely get some legal advice.

Take care of yourself (hugs)

beaker likes this.
  16. PNR2008

PNR2008 Senior Member

OH USA
    Get through the sadness then use the anger to explore your options. Talk to a lawyer(s) even think of the local newspaper or news channel. If at all possible fight this. This is unfair and they should be paying you severance so you can live while getting disability. Good Luck.

beaker likes this.
  17. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    :( that's so unfair **hugs** . If there is anything legally you can do, I think you should try to do it. Get advice from more then one lawyer.

beaker likes this.
  18. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    That just doesnt usually work, I know only two well. It may seem like only 15months but in fact if you were trying to work still you would of just ended up worst (likely bedbound) and probably wouldnt have made the 15mths which in ME/CFS working terms when one is pushing oneself far more then one should, it is a very long time. Maybe you could of pulled up some reserves you didnt realise you had, for a few more months but just not for 15. It was well out of your reach.

Look kindly at yourself, you did try hard.

19. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    I am sorry Roxie, it really is appalling after your having worked for them so long. !
    Hope you will be ok xx

beaker likes this.
  20. GracieJ

GracieJ Senior Member

Utah
    Words fail.

Just hugs right now.

beaker likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.