August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Tell the Department of Labor to Adopt ERISA Disability Changes

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Nielk, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Nielk

Nielk

Read the rest and what you can do here

Sushi and Denise like this.
  2. PNR2008

PNR2008 Senior Member

OH USA
    How long does LTD last?

3. Nielk

Nielk

I think that most LTD policies in The U.S. stop at age 65, although some have extensions until age 70.

4. Denise

Denise Senior Member

I think LTD for reasons of "mental health" is usually restricted to 2 years.

Nielk likes this.
  5. Nielk

Nielk

That's how I lost my LTD coverage after two years. They claimed I suffered from a psychological illness. It is interesting to note that Social Security disability does not have this restriction.

6. Denise

Denise Senior Member

I am very sorry your LTD was cut off because of incorrect (on their part) claims about the nature of your disability.

ahimsa and Nielk like this.
  7. Nielk

Nielk

Please read an Update on the ERISA blog:

http://www.meadvocacy.org/update_on_the_erisa_changes_blog

8. Nielk

Nielk

Yesterday, January 19, 2016 was the deadline to submit comments to the Department of Labor’s proposed new rules to the ERISA law which govern long term disability (LTD) policies. Jeannette Burmeister brought this issue to light with her blogs outlining the summary of the proposed rules, instruction and sample comment and additional guidance for commenting.

MEadvocacy.org’s advisory group composed and submitted their comment today in the hope that these new rules affecting ERISA law, if adopted, will improve the chances for disabled ME patients to collect their long term disability benefits. Please read more -http://www.meadvocacy.org/meadvocacy_submits_comment_to_dol

9. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

Just FYI, my own employer's LTD policy (covered by ERISA laws) had zero coverage for mental illnesses no matter how severe. So it's not always a game of approval and then denial after 2 years. My LTD claim was denied at the very start. It all depends on the LTD policy.

Many thanks to Jeannette Burmeister for posting so much helpful information on her blog and for submitting a comment. And thanks also to @Nielk & MEadvocacy.org for submitting a comment.

I sent in a comment via email but it was fairly short. Hope it helps. I noticed that the government website shows a total of 57 comments sent in.

10. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

Until the insurance company can come up with an excuse to deny your claim that they think they can win in court?

(only half kidding)

See more popular forum discussions.