• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Telegraph Tomorrow - Exercise and positivity can overcome ME

sarah darwins

I don't think it is clickbait so much as going along with a very deliberately planned attack. They will have been given that story by the same people who gave it to the Daily Mail, Radio 5 (apparently doing a piece on it today) and all the other media outlets.
We may both be right. We may be looking at a coordinated campaign from the BPS lobby and shallow journalists spotting an easy way to get their 'readership' figures up.

It's hard to find any solid info on Sarah Knapton, but this brief bio from the Guardian, for whom she has in the past contributed as a freelance, suggests that she is no more a scientist than I am:

Sarah Knapton is a freelance journalist on the Guardian. She also works as a senior court reporter for Central News based at the Old Bailey and moved to London in 2005 from the North East where she was Chief District Reporter of the Newcastle Evening Chronicle. Work interests include science, courts and the environment while personal interests include snowboarding and blues piano.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
The latest paper and the way it's being presented in the press really really makes it clear to me that the authors are prepared to knowingly cause harm to ME patients on an industrial scale. Just to maintain their careers. They are behaving like people who have nothing left to lose, now that the cat is coming out of the bag about their dishonesty, so they may as well go the whole hog, and be hung for a sheep as well as a lamb, if that's not too many animal metaphors.

When the truth is finally revealed (and it must be, even though it's taking so long), these articles will be just more nails in their coffins, they are just providing another jaw-dropping demonstration of how far they are prepared to go and how low they are prepared to stoop which hopefully will count against them when they are finally disgraced as the evil ego-driven manipulative sociopathic psychoquackers that they are. It's the MMR scandal all over again, showing that the Lancet and the press have learnt nothing and changed nothing since then.

It's taking too long and there are some nasty hiccups along the way, but the truth must come out in the end. I just hope it's in the lifetime of some of the people who have suffered for so long.

eafw

Coyne is actually an academic psychologist, not a journo. Highly critical of CBT and quackery in psychology in general.

Yes, I have read his stuff before, and am suprised he's not been on the PACE case before now. Should have said journalists and well-known bloggers.

eafw

Covered Tuller on his programme this morning, apparently.

John Darvall, who as we speak is engaging in a number of conversations about this on Twitter. I didn't hear his show this morning but I'm sure he would have been a voice of sanity.

Am listening to this now, starts at about 7 minutes in. Not just covering ME, other chronic conditions too, but good so far (ETA: though like all phone-ins you also end up with most people who don't stick to the point at hand - point being positive thinking is crap and for many downright dangerous - and ramble off on whatever else instead)

Link http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p034rf7h

Last edited:

eafw

I agree. Awesome. I look forward to his commentary which he suggested would come out Thursday.

I'm interested as what he will say, as right now on twitter he is pleading the case that Sharpe et al are poor innocent lambs who have been dreadfully misrepresented by the news reports.

Now, the news reports may be over-spun, but Sharpe and friends are culpable in their endless promotion of the shameful PACE trial and do talk out of both sides of their mouth on this. Let's hope Coyne does his homework as to the history of this issue and especially the role of the pro-PACE "researchers" in the whole debacle.

The Evening Standard back on on the PACE Spin bandwaggon.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/e...ercome-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-a3100846.html
'Exercise and positive thinking 'can help overcome' Chronic Fatigue Syndrome'

'Positive thinking and increasing participation in exercise could help cure Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), a new study has found.

The research from Oxford University, in conjunction with King’s College London and Queen Mary University of London, followed up a previous study published in 2011 which looked at four potential treatments for CFS, including cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) and graded exercise therapy (GET).' .....

Yogi

I'm interested as what he will say, as right now on twitter he is pleading the case that Sharpe et al are poor innocent lambs who have been dreadfully misrepresented by the news reports.

Now, the news reports may be over-spun, but Sharpe and friends are culpable in their endless promotion of the shameful PACE trial and do talk out of both sides of their mouth on this. Let's hope Coyne does his homework as to the history of this issue and especially the role of the pro-PACE "researchers" in the whole debacle.

Sharpe et all are all psychiatrists and they know the mind and how to play the media and public's minds. They know exactly what they are doing. This is a campaign of disinformation which was ready to go to press once Tuller exposed them last week. Just look at the result all the headlines are about going for exercise as a cure. This is to paint ME patients as lazy and it has cast doubt on the general public mind to the seriousness of this disease again just when things were looking up for patients and for the public not to be interested in the Tuller investigation. It has caused confusion over the seriousness of the disease and that was the objective!!

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/e...ercome-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-a3100846.html

Headline: Exercise and positive thinking 'can help overcome' Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

First Sentence: Positive thinking and increasing participation in exercise could help cure Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), a new study has found.

How can anyone blame the journalists if they all get it wrong. Sharpe, White and Chalder are fully responsible for the articles and it is the strategy they are playing. Given the controversy with ME which the PACE PI's acknowledge they should have been extra careful but they were not. The news was embargoed until 12 midnight and they could have corrected but they did not. Why not?

The Telegraph article includes a link to an interview with Martine McCutcheon about 'her' ME, in which she lauds the Lightning Process. How on earth do Action for ME justify having Martine as an AFME 'ambassador' when she is also used as a poster girl by Phil Parker for advertising his NLP Lightning Process? Yet another of AFME's 'ambassadors' publicly claims she recovered from ME by doing 'Reverse Therapy', a form of psychotherapy, which constructs ME as a stress condition which is created and perpetuated by 'wrong thinking/wrong feeling'.

.From AFME Facebook today: "Sonya will highlight the true impact of M.E., and highlight the damage done my misleading press coverage, such as the stories published today about '"exercise" and "positive thinking" being cures for M.E."

AFME does not help by giving double messages such as positive thinking doesn't cure ME, but psychotherapy and positive thinking can cure ME if you are an ME ambassador.

Last edited:

sillysocks84

The Evening Standard back on on the PACE Spin bandwaggon.

'Exercise and positive thinking 'can help overcome' Chronic Fatigue Syndrome'

'Positive thinking and increasing participation in exercise could help cure Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), a new study has found.

The research from Oxford University, in conjunction with King’s College London and Queen Mary University of London, followed up a previous study published in 2011 which looked at four potential treatments for CFS, including cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) and graded exercise therapy (GET).' .....

We need to write in to these papers and send articles that are real and ask if they are evil or if real articles are just way over their heads. And if they are over their heads STOP reporting on it!!

sillysocks84

How on earth do Action for ME justify having Martine as an AFME 'ambassador' when she is also used as a poster girl by Phil Parker for advertising his NLP Lightning Process? Yet another of AFME's 'ambassadors' publicly claims she recovered from ME by doing 'Reverse Therapy', a form of psychotherapy,
Say no more. It's a conspiracy! I mean, how else could you explain the ridiculousness of it all??

joshualevy

Here is the main results graph from the Lancet article:

gr2.jpg

And here is a link to an even larger copy:
http://www.thelancet.com/cms/attachment/2039587082/2053187360/gr2_lrg.jpg

I don't know how long these will be available for free (w/registration) on Lancet, so someone might want to save them.

Joshua

@sillysocks84 ..... I don't think 'conspiracy'.. I think AFME thinks that featuring Martine McCutcheon as a kind of AFME representative is a crowd pleaser. Uninformed or naive members think its 'good' that ME gets more publicity via celebrities, regardless of how uninformed or damaging the public messages of celebrities can be.

Last edited: