1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Telegraph newspaper article on potential Autism test

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by V99, Jun 3, 2010.

1. JillBohr

JillBohr Senior Member

Columbus, OH
    This paper is complete rubbish. From the paper:

"When comparing 996 ASD individuals of European ancestry to 1,287 matched controls, cases were found to carry a higher global burden of rare, genic copy number variants (CNVs) (1.19 fold, P = 0.012), especially so for loci previously implicated in either ASD and/or intellectual disability (1.69 fold, P = 3.4  10-4)."

Although my scientific knowledge is lacking, I DO know that it is not statistically significant unless is is 2.0 fold or higher.

This reminds me of when Time magazine printed one of the best discoveries of ?2009 and one of them was gene linked to autism because 65 percent of the ASD kids had this. Wow. That does sound like a great discovery, until you look at the paper and find that 63 percent of the general population also have that gene. Besides, there is no such thing as a genetic epidemic.

2. JillBohr

JillBohr Senior Member

Columbus, OH
    Very interesting Rosemary. Thank you for posting this.

See more popular forum discussions.