1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Never Ask Us if We're Hungry -- The Answer's Always No
There are three of us here and for many years, none of us ever got hungry. When our brains would turn to mush, when our faces would go numb, and we would start the invisible vibration which is the signature dance of ME/CFS, we knew we needed to eat.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

[TEDtalk] Daniel Kraft: Medicine's future?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Waverunner, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

As we currently see in CFS, general diagnostics and treatments are not very sophisticated. This will change and probably will do so fast. Daniel Kraft gave a great overview, of what we already have accomplished during the last few years and what we can look for, in the future. We are at the border of a new era of medicine, where advanced diagnostics and individualized treatment, in my eyes, will get at the root of CFS and will cure it.

Enid, Bob and Sherlock like this.
  2. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Thanks Waverunner. Very interesting. The idea of an exponential growth in the capacity of technology is a fascinating idea to get your head around. We live in very interesting times! They mention the 'Singularity University'. The theory behind the 'singularity', is that the capacity and capabilities of technology will one day soon overtake the capacity of humans. At that point, technology itself will design/invent/make new technologies, with even higher capabilities. It's a bit scary, but it's quite mind-blowing to think where this will lead us.
    SickOfSickness and Waverunner like this.
  3. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    Bob,
    Where will it lead?
    DALEKS!!! ;)

victory_of_the_daleks.jpg

hehe!
    the Singularity is an intriguing idea been reading about for a while...think it was Verner Vinge?? who first proposed it?
  4. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    hehe! ...

Clearly, Daleks are the future! :)

I'm not sure who proposed the idea first.
    Ray Kurzwell writes about it a lot. I've read a book by him, but it's very repetitive, and I think I've summarised it in my previous post.
    All his ideas can be read about by doing a google search.
    He thinks the singularity is only a few years away, but I think it will take another couple of decades until we have computers that can mimic humans. Still, that's not far away.
  5. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

For me it seems, that medicine is moving faster than ever before.

6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I don't know if Veror Vinge first proposed the Singularity, but he certainly wrote about things like that. He is one of my favourite authors. Bye, Alex
    ukxmrv and Waverunner like this.
  7. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

What can we expect from future diagnosis and treatment?

SilverbladeTE likes this.
  8. SilverbladeTE

good post thanks Waverunner :)
    yeah the gross simplicity of how the "medical professioN" looks at health is absolutely prehistoric! :/

32^2, 32 chromosome pairs, to power of 2, = 70+ billion BASIC compbinations of Homo Sapien
    add in mutation and other factors, the numbers get into the realms of the completely incomprehensible
    Waverunner likes this.
  9. SilverbladeTE

damn it
    sorry so SICK of being stupid now :(
    23 pairs in each partner so 23^2 = 8,388,608
    so since combination with other partner's as well it's
    8,288,608^2
    = 70,368,744,177,664
    so 70 TRILLION *basic* combinations of "Human"
    and there are vast number of variations within each gene, the total possible combination number is...beyond all reason. more than there atoms in the Universe by a damn good number, iirc

please forgive me being stupid and grouchy folks, hate hate HATE this illness :(

See more popular forum discussions.