Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Ted Talk: The surprising habits of original thinkers 4/1/16 Adam Grant (15 mins)

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by *GG*, Apr 3, 2016.

1. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
  2. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    He's very entertaining. Thank you. Reassuring for the procrastinators amongst us, too!

Keela Too and *GG* like this.
  3. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Good point, I'm more of a "Procrastinator" than ever ;)

GG

Keela Too and sarah darwins like this.
  4. Keela Too

Keela Too Sally Burch

N.Ireland
    Good one.

5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Interesting. I am not so sure of the "science" but philosophically I try to do some these things, deliberately. Like everything important needs to be questioned. Questioning and thinking. However this is pie in the sky without evidence. Evidence and reason, and question, question, question, are at the core of my philosophy.

When I was at uni I used to rush in, get material, and start to research and outline my papers. I would do this whenever I had energy, so if it crashed I would be mostly done anyway. However I rarely finished early. I used to think about the issues. Then finish just before they were due.

Thinking takes time. Thinking through options takes more time than just following rules. I think that allows for more creativity because you have time to think outside of the narrow box you are forced into if in too much of a hurry to get it done.

Hmmm, maybe I rushed into this response too fast. Let me think about it.

6. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    I think you summarise the limitations of psychology rather nicely! A blend of science and 'other stuff'.

It was good to hear this guy — an organisational psychologist (who knew?) — acknowledging the limitations of his own theory, as with the case of Wagner "I don't know why this guy did so well".

7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I had two semesters of organizational psychology as part of my IT degree, and a further semester in cognitive science for the artificial intelligence aspects. This stuff gets around.

sarah darwins likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.