• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

TED Talk on boosting mitochondrial production through hunter gatherer diet

Mr. Cat

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, and it doesn't specifically pertain to CFS, but the following is an interesting TED talk by a doctor who claims to have improved her mitochondrial and brain functioning (and recover from MS) through the extra vitamins she got by eating a largely green vegetable diet low in carbs and processes foods. This is not necessarily breaking news, but it is inspiring. I have recently cut most carbs from my diet, and am therefore eating more green vegetables, and have noticed less brain and body inflammation, more clarity, and more energy, though I would say this is likely due more to the lack of carbs than to the addition of veggies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KLjgBLwH3Wc

determined

Thanks for posting this, Mr. Cat! I love TED talks. When I first became ill, the hunter-gatherer diet was all I could tolerate. I am gradually weaning myself off the carbs now. Slow and steady - I've learned that dramatic changes in my microbiome can mean big trouble!

Rockt

Thanks Mr. Cat.

I think this is very relevant to the Methylation/B12 section. Dr. Wahl mentions the B vits. quite a bit and I'm pretty sure Rich Van K has talked about carb reduced diet as assisting the kreb cycle (I think?!). Reducing carbs, increasing fat and protein has helped me, especially in the gut department, though no miraculous recovery. I ordered Dr. Wahl's book to see if I can find more of what may help in terms of diet.

xchocoholic

Love the avatar mr. cat .. Great minds think alike .. I started a thread on this too. If you search on wahls you'll find it.

I was very impressed with dr wahls' video of her recovery story.

What I got from her was the importance of diet versus trying to resolve her ms via pills. She tried the pills first .. Both traditional and holistic.

Foods contain ingedients that help our bodies process nutrients. No pills can compare ..

BUT, those who are ill will also need to supplement with certain nutrients for our damaged bodies to heal.

It's both not either .. I needed to see this in order to get it ..

Fwiw, I can't see how this relates to methylation because our bodies have multiple ways of detoxing
not just methylation. If you google how drugs work, I think you'll see the info I read.

The diet she recommends is packed with detoxing foods ..

Tc .. X

Sing

Thanks, Mr. Cat! I found this inspiring. I'm sure it does pertain to ME/CFS as a chronic health condition, and would result in some improvement. How much, I don't know, but if some of us would eat this way for a year, say, and report back, we'd have a good indicator.

Mr. Cat

I found the original thread, fla, thanks. Looks like xchocoholic scooped me by a day :). I plan on staying on a green vegetable, no-carb diet like this for a while, though definitely not meat every day. I don't expect it to be a miracle cure, but cutting carbs and other acidic foods definitely seemed to be a piece of the puzzle for me. In looking for where to post this, I was thinking there ought to be a "Diet" section on PR, as proper diet seems to be helpful for many in improving both digestive and autoimmune/inflammation problems. A place where the various CFS-helpful diets could be compared and tried out, and people could report on their progress. I know there are many such threads in "The Gut," and perhaps that is the place for them, but to have them all together might be helpful.

xchocoholic

I found the original thread, fla, thanks. Looks like xchocoholic scooped me by a day :). I plan on staying on a green vegetable, no-carb diet like this for a while, though definitely not meat every day. I don't expect it to be a miracle cure, but cutting carbs and other acidic foods definitely seemed to be a piece of the puzzle for me. In looking for where to post this, I was thinking there ought to be a "Diet" section on PR, as proper diet seems to be helpful for many in improving both digestive and autoimmune/inflammation problems. A place where the various CFS-helpful diets could be compared and tried out, and people could report on their progress. I know there are many such threads in "The Gut," and perhaps that is the place for them, but to have them all together might be helpful.

Ha ha .. Good to know I scooped someone !

Imho, based on my experience and that of others I've known with chronic illnesses,
the paleo diet, with meat daily, is required for our bodies to perform all the enzymatic
reactions required to function. And that's providing our bodies still can.

Fwiw, I went on a vegan diet back in sept for 5 weeks after being paleo for several years and
never got the energy I got fro the paleo diet. In fact I went downhill. My dysautonomia
was keeping me couchbound daily. I could barely stand up. I tried this to see if giving
up meat would help my digestion .. long story short, I needed more magesium and
better probiotics ..

As far as healing, eliminating foods that we're intolerant of, ESPECIALLY ones that
our bodies are producing antibodies too is critical. I haven't found yet if Dr. Wahls
was tested for gluten antibodies but according to all the studies I read, there is a STRONG connection. Going paleo will eliminate all gluten as well as limit most gluten
cross contamination.

On top of diet tho we need to get our nutrient levels up. All of them .. Minerals too.
Tired now .. Tc ..x