1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

taurine for MCS?

Discussion in 'Addressing Biotoxin, Chemical & Food Sensitivities' started by determined, Apr 15, 2012.

1. determined

determined Senior Member

USA: Deep South
    Thanks for adding this, perchance. I did order some taurine, but I'm still considering whether or not I want to try it right now.

2. Bunchy

Bunchy

UK
    I added Taurine to my regimen a couple months ago - my failry severe MCS has definitely improved but I also started Freddd's protocol at the same time so can't be sure which supplement has helped with the MCS (I suspect a combination).

I will continue to take Taurine though.

Love Esperanza x

3. Tara

Tara

Wausau, WI
    Just to note, Heartfixer lists taurine as a supplement to avoid when you have a CBS mutation. Taurine is high in sulphur.

4. Anne P

Anne P

Australia
    Taurine gave me migraines. My mcs is preventing me from using any of the methylations supplements. I am about to attempt them in minute quantities and hope they don't send me beserk (neuroexcitation).

5. Anne P

Anne P

Australia
    Oh. Just saw the post. Thats why I can't tolerate taurine...I can't tolerate sulphur.

6. Legolas

Legolas

Belgium
    For those who have more interest in Agmatine
    I'd curious to have it IV.

7. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    http://www.iherb.com/Anabolic-Innovations-AI-Sports-Nutrition-Agmatine-120-Capsules/43768
    Agmatine is derived from arginine, a primary amino acid. Agmatine acts as a neurotransmitter to induce production of growth hormone, nitric oxide, creatine and protein; decrease blood glucose levels; and aid in the removal of nitrogen waste products from the body. A report in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences indicates that agmatine is capable of preventing and treating spinal cord injuries, inflammation and neuropathy; however, every exogenous supplement has some side effects associated with use or overuse.
    Gastrointestinal Disturbances

The patent for agmatine-containing products indicates that only three of the trial participants reported gastrointestinal disruptions at low doses. Those disruptions included diarrhea, nausea and vomiting that began after two days of taking agmatine and continued until treatment ceased. Only one of the people experiencing these problems dropped out of the clinical trial because of the discomfort caused by agmatine.
    Neuropathy Treatment Clinically Proven To Heal Nerves. 92% Success Rate. Free Sample! www.NeuropathyTreatmentGroup.com
    Sponsored Links
    Lower Pain Threshold

A study published in the "European Journal of Pharmacology" indicated that large doses of agmatine actually lowered the overall pain threshold even though low doses improved overall response to chronic pain. Rats were utilized to determine if agmatine was capable of improving the response to acute pain from a new injury at low doses. Unfortunately, agmatine appears to have little ability to limit acute pain, even though the same dose appeared to stop pain perception from old injuries.
    Neurotoxicity

Agmatine is a low-affinity N-methyl-D-aspartate, or NMDA, antagonist; thus, the threat of neurotoxicity is possible although extremely unlikely. According to agmatine's patent information, it has a 500,000-times lower affinity for NMDA receptors than typical antagonists. A report in "Science" indicates that NMDA antagonists may produce hallucinations, and they have been shown to cause morphological changes in the cerebral cortex of rats.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/275087-agmatine-side-effects/#ixzz27TxbCWRA

Rand56 likes this.
  8. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Hi @caledonia,

I recently ran across a well done 13-min. YouTube video by a former dentist and CFS sufferer who is now a Naturopath. Starting at about the 5:20-minute mark, she mentions how the liver and friendly bacteria in the body convert inorganic mercury into organic mercury (which is apparently 100-1000 times more harmful to the body). Seems like a plausible explanation as to why some people fare so poorly when taking high quality probiotics.

I wonder if this could explain why some people feel worse when successfully improving their methylation. Perhaps in an attempt to detoxify inorganic mercury, the liver converts it to organic mercury creating even more toxicity. This is one reason I've been interested in MMS recently. Some proponents claim chlorine dioxide can break mercury down into it's constituents parts (or something like that), making it far easier to detoxify. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

CFS & Fibromyalgia: The Natural Recovery Plan

@dannybex

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  9. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    I thought I'd post this list of taurine benefits which I recently ran across. If taurine does calm excitable nerves (and brain), I can see where it could ease some of the symptoms of MCS.

Taurine: Bountiful Benefits
    • Taurine is the most abundant amino acid around; it is found throughout the body, but especially in tissues containing excitable cells, like nerves and heart muscle – Borrelia’s favorite hang-outs.
    • Evidence suggests that certain groups with the longest life spans consume higher amounts of taurine than those of us in the rest of the world.
    • Taurine supplementation can prevent diabetes and obesity in animal models (and apparently in people too), and can mitigate the effects of both conditions in humans.
    • Taurine protects retinal and inner ear cells from damage, normalizing the flow of calcium ions they require for proper function.
    • Taurine enhances energy – a desperate need for those of us who suffer with chronic Lyme disease.
    Here's the rest of the taurine I found:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  10. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Great video explaining the mechanisms of mercury in the body. I do ok with probiotics, but do get that "run over by a truck feeling" when increasing methylation or detoxing metals. I've heard not good things about MMS.

11. Rand56

Rand56 Senior Member

Myrtle Beach, SC

hi Heaps

I take agmatine and I think it's great! I take it mainly as a pre-workout supplement. It's great for pumps in the gym, but it also remarkably reduces muscle soreness too. I'm not as fatigued after a workout either.

Rand

See more popular forum discussions.