Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

TauG-guidance of dynamic balance control during gait initiation in patients with CFS and FM

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by mango, Jul 31, 2016.

1. mango

mango Senior Member

TauG-guidance of dynamic balance control during gait initiation in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia

Rasouli O
    1, Stensdotter AK2, Van der Meer AL3.

Author information
    1. Institute of Health Science, Faculty of Health and Social Sciences, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway; Department of Public Health and General Practice, Faculty of Medicine, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway.
    2 Institute of Health Science, Faculty of Health and Social Sciences, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway.
    3 Developmental Neuroscience Laboratory, Department of Psychology, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway.

Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2016 Jul 22;37:147-152. doi: 10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2016.07.008. [Epub ahead of print]

Abstract
    BACKGROUND:
    Impaired postural control has been reported in static conditions in chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia, but postural control in dynamic tasks have not yet been investigated. Thus, we investigated measurements from a force plate to evaluate dynamic balance control during gait initiation in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia compared to matched healthy controls.

METHODS:
    Thirty female participants (10 per group) performed five trials of gait initiation. Center of pressure (CoP) trajectory of the initial weight shift onto the supporting foot in the mediolateral direction (CoPX) was analyzed using General Tau Theory. We investigated the hypothesis that tau of the CoPX motion-gap (τCoPx) is coupled onto an intrinsic tauG-guide (τG) by keeping the relation τCoPx=KτG, where K is a scaling factor that determines the relevant kinematics of a movement.

FINDINGS:
    Mean K values were 0.57, 0.55, and 0.50 in fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and healthy controls, respectively. Both patient groups showed K values significantly higher than 0.50 (P<0.05), indicating that patients showed poorer dynamic balance control, CoPX colliding with the boundaries of the base of support (K>0.5).

INTERPRETATION:

The findings revealed a lower level of dynamic postural control in both fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome compared to controls.

Keywords: Base of support; Chronic widespread pain; Myalgic encephalomyelitis; Postural control; TauG analysis

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27474799

Dolphin, Valentijn and Comet like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

This also showed up in PubMed:

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

(Aside)

This description is not exactly the same as in the Fukuda definition:
    I prefer the description in the current paper. Rest can help people with ME/CFS.

What is particularly annoying is that description from Fukuda definition is often given as:
    If people with ME/CFS are excluded from ME/CFS using this, it would be very unfortunate.

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The paper has no drawings with exactly what they are talking about. I do have an idea. I googled "mediolateral" images and it has some relevant images along with lots of images of an operation/incision that I will never have (as I'm a man)!

6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

When 0 < K ≤ 0.5, the movement is controlled and ends with touch contact with the boundaries of the BoS. When 0.5 < K ≤ 1, the movement is less controlled and ends with hard contact with the boundaries of the BoS. Such a movement is characterized by a steeper decrease in closure rate, resulting in a movement where velocity peaks in the second half of the movement with a shorter deceleration period. When K ≥ 1, the movement has no deceleration phase such that, even upon reaching its goal, the velocity is still increasing, causing the movement to result in a non-controlled collision with the boundaries of the BoS (Lee, 1998).

BoS=base of support

7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Discussion of possible causes (seems quite speculative to me)

See more popular forum discussions.