1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Tattoo pain - any ideas?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by sming, Aug 12, 2014.

1. sming

sming

Hi,
    recently when I had my 1st & 2nd tattoo sessions I didn't know I had CFS/ME, which I gather can lower your pain threshold considerably.

Well, that turned out to be my experience - I couldn't believe how painful it was. The tattoo artist couldn't believe my intolerance/wimpiness as well.

Anyway, anyone have any tips for alleviating the pain? I've been told that Dr. Numb/Inkeeze only works for like 25 mins which isn't long enough (it's a 3 hour session...). I'm considering ibuprofen or beer but don't have great hopes for either. Tips before Weds evening appreciated!

Pete

2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Narcissism = lack of self awareness

Left Coast
    Another issue besides the pain (I got my tats pre-ME) is the ink. I believe they contain mercury, or did. Or something toxic It's escaping me now.

3. sming

sming

4. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Narcissism = lack of self awareness

Left Coast
    All of the above. Look around here for all the people trying to get metals out of their systems. Pain is the least of your worries IMO.

Sushi and justy like this.
  5. PallasKat

PallasKat

United States
    Hi Pete - A similar thing happened to me with acupuncture. I used to be able to tolerate the needles without barely noticing them - now, even the tiniest needle feels like an ice-pick - and my last treatment even caused a migraine!

If it were me, (and I have a few tattoos), I would take an anti-inflammatory 30 min before your session. I would also take a high (but safe) dosage - say 600 mg of ibuprofen. Extra strength tylenol (acetaminophen) might work for you too.

Does anyone think magnesium could help??

.....but NO BEER - that will just make you feel worse in the long run, and a lot of tattoo artists won't work on you anymore if you have been drinking.

Best!!

P Kat:cat:

sming likes this.
  6. sming

sming

Hi P Kat, can you give an example of such an anti-inflammatory? I checked with the artist and he's happy for me to have a few beers if that helps. I'm just not sure it'll help!
    Thanks for the post!
    Pete

7. PallasKat

PallasKat

United States
    Hiya Pete!

My choice of anti-inflammatory would be Advil liquid gel caps. If it were me, I would take 3 gel caps 30 minutes before you session. That is 600 mg - and be sure to drink lots of water. If you have stomach issues with your CFS/ME, you might want to explore something else - I have a good stomach and can tolerate most medications that cause some people to have abdominal cramps and nausea.

I never mix alcohol with anti-inflammatories - it worries me.

Regarding the beer :lol: here is a good, short article I found on http://tat2duck.com/ :

Bestest!

P Kat :cat:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  8. jerrymcfadyen

jerrymcfadyen Senior Member

East Bend, NC USA
    WoW! Glad that's not an issue for me. I'm now taking insulin shots every day and B12 once a month and Testosteron shots twice a month.

Anyway as for tattoos one of mine was done after getting CFS/ME and did not hurt any more than the others. It could be just that is something that's going to affect you.
    I agree get Advil gel caps they and you can check on this but I'm sure you can take more than normal dose to get you through.

9. sming

sming

Hah, thanks for the post, I managed to see it before tonight's session. I ended up taking 600mg ibuprofen and it definitely took the edge off - thanks for the suggestion.

That said it was still no cake walk, especially around the armpit - oof. Just 2-3 more sessions to go...

See more popular forum discussions.