• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Taste in mouth on higher doses of B12 - Thoughts anyone? Rich?

Adster

I'd love to get to the bottom of this, so am open to suggestions. When I boost my mb12 intake using good b12 from a local compounding pharmacy, I get noticeable positive response over the jarrows, either sublingually or via injection.

However, I get a constant, strong, dull(ie not like salt or acid) and slightly slightly metallic taste in my mouth a few days after adding in this extra dose. I don't know what causes it and I don't know how to find out. I suspect zinc deficiency but I'm getting normal results on a zinc tally test and blood tests.

Any thoughts? Could potassium depletion cause taste issues like this?

Crux

Hi Adster;

I've been wondering about this too. Although I have a strong need for B12, I can only take a certain amount before having some signs of excess, or what seems such.

Some of the signs of excess B12 correlate to those of zinc deficiency for me. I've been searching to find a relationship of B12 to zinc, but I've found very little.

But now I've begun to compare cobalt and zinc, and I've read that they may displace each other, if one is disproportionately higher in quantity.

It could also be that cobalt is displacing other metals. ( This is getting to be far beyond me.)

richvank

Hi, Adster.

I don't know either, but maybe your detox system is mobilizing a toxic metal. B12 should help to get the sulfur metabolism in better operation, and the detox system relies quite a lot on sulfur-containing species.

You might consider running a urine toxic metals panel, such as the one from Doctor's Data.

Best regards,

Rich

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hi Adster--I second what Rich says. I often get heavy metal mobilization from taking the methyl B12. What helps clear the metals from my system are one or more of the following: transdermal glutathione, N-A-C, fruit pectin, and charcoal. Also, drinking lemon water seems to help, and taking epsom salt baths.

You might consider taking a smaller dose of the mB12. I know some people here who have taken tiny amounts, literally crumbs of the B12 pills. You could possibly get your compounding pharmacy to make you a prescription of tiny dosages.

anne_likes_red

I had a strong metallic taste after SOD was increased via HBOT. That promoted rapid detox...too much maybe?
I guess I may have avoided it if I'd had good binders on board?
:)

Adster

Thanks guys. I'm going to stick with the higher doses for a bit, as aside from the metallic taste I am doing better overall. I'll keep doing rounds of DMSA too. Fingers crossed!

anne_likes_red

I came back to edit my post but couldn't see how to :confused: so I'm adding here..
The HBOT treatment where I experienced the metallic taste was a protocol designed to significantly upregulate SOD, and Glutathione peridoxase.
FWIW I have homo polymorphisms in both Gpx and SOD2 so it's possible there may have been quite a back up of...hmmm...metallic tasting things?

Glad to hear you're doing better Adster :)

Adster

Cheers Anne. The good spell didn't last, just coming out the other side of a downturn now, hopefully. I actually came back to this thread with a new thought; maybe I'm not taking enough methylfolate with the higher dose of mb12. I'm on 400mcg at the moment; I'll try doubling that for a week or so and see how that goes. It still could be metals as you say, I'm sure there's a few built up after 30 years of poor detoxing.