• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tamiflu for flu?

NilaJones

I seem to have caught a flu. They generally lead to exacerbated symptoms for a month, for me.

This time I actually managed to get some Tamiflu within the 48 hour window. I have never tried it before. I thought it might be a great chance to skip a month of being extra-sick.

But, like a fool, I took the first capsule before thinking to come here and ask you folks' experiences with the stuff.

Maybe it's not too late! I did a search, and found one person who had a general, though short lessening of all symptoms -- and another who had a reactivation of EBV for 4 months :(. That's a pretty small sample set, though, two people.

Have any of you reading this tried Tamiflu? Would you? Why or why not?

Thank you for your help :).

dsdmom

I've taken it. It caused major nausea and some depression for me. Still had the flu and it took me a long time to get over. Don't know that I'd use it again.

NilaJones

Thanks, dsdmom!

Yeah, it's making me pretty nauseous. I am not sure if I will be able to complete the course, for that reason. I came close to dying from stomach stuff a decade ago, and I am leery of re-irritating it.

Unfortunately, I am also not thinking very clearly, so I am not sure how seriously to take the stomach stuff.

Sorry to hear it didn't help with your flu!

I've taken it. It caused major nausea and some depression for me. Still had the flu and it took me a long time to get over. Don't know that I'd use it again.

Raindrop

I am glad you started this thread. I have a prescription for it on hand. I have gotten VERY very
sick with the flu in the past 18 months and due to the severity and frequency, finally got this from my
GP. I am *hugely* sensitive to chemicals and almost all medications, so I am scarred to try this one.
I will be watching this conversation - thanks for starting it.

NilaJones

I am happy you like the topic!

I have no idea whether this applies to tamiflu, but I remember reading in the discussions of other antivirals (valgancyclovir, etc.) that, because they have a different mode of action from antibiotics, it is ok to start with a small dose and work up.

You might look into whether that is true for tamiflu. You could open the capsule and try a tiny amount, if you think that would help you figure out if it was ok for you.

I tend to have strong reactions to drugs, in that I need sometimes micro-low doses, but I do not tend to have BAD reactions. So I cannot speak to that from my own experience.

So far the tamiflu is going ok for me. Lots of nausea, but DGL helps with that. No vomiting. Things feel weird, mentally, but not much different from how flu + ME is normally.

I am glad you started this thread. I have a prescription for it on hand. I have gotten VERY very
sick with the flu in the past 18 months and due to the severity and frequency, finally got this from my
GP. I am *hugely* sensitive to chemicals and almost all medications, so I am scarred to try this one.
I will be watching this conversation - thanks for starting it.

Before reading this thread, I would have tried it, but if I had bad side effects I would stop it immediately.

Now that you brought this up, I would have to research. I do not get more severe flus. I have heard healthy people can shorten their flu from 5-8 days to 2-3 days, but I am not going to put myself at risk for something bad just to shorten my flu by 3 days.

If I got a longer flu like you, then I would be more likely to try it. But I would see if anyone was very badly affected like permanently or for many months (longer than the 4 month, which is quite bad enough). Those are my thoughts on it. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

NilaJones

Thanks, SickOfSickness :).

Yes, I would definitely like to hear ASAP, if anybody knows of anyone who has had a bad crash from Tamiflu! Otherwise, I will keep seeing how it goes....

NilaJones

It's going pretty well, still. I skipped one dose because I was getting histamine symptoms (increased inflammation in old injuries), it was late at night, and the PI has dire warnings about allergies. But I called a pharmacist the next day and he said it was no big deal.

It was nice to have the break from the nausea and inflammation, skipping one dose, but I am back on it now. And, ow!

OTOH, I was more feverish and shaky when I was off it, and I have more energy now, back on it. I will try to make it through the course. The big question for me is -- once the course is done, will the flu be gone? If so, it's maybe worth it.

NilaJones

Hi folks!

I finished the course a few days ago, and I think it worked! When the course ended I no longer had the fever and shakiness.

And I think my energy level is good, though measurements are a bit confounded ;) by the fact that I have two sick cats hospitalised in the living room, and the additional stress of caring for them, vet consults, lack of sleep, etc.

I do still have the food-allergy-like histamine reaction, which severely limits typing. Maybe there is some gluten in the capsules, or another allergen.

All in all, I would do it again.

Patrick*

Formerly PWCalvin
I took Tamiflu recently and my opinion is that it probably did reduce the length and severity of my flu. I checked here with PR before taking the first dose and, naturally, there were mixed opinions, but nothing dissuaded me from trying it (cautiously.)

Before I caught it, the flu had been going around my family in the last several weeks. It was a severe flu, usually taking about a week to recover from. As an immune compromised person, it should have taken me longer than a week to recover, and yet I started feeling better (back to my usual crappy ME/CFS baseline) within 3 or 4 days. I believe this shortened recovery time may have been due to the Tamiflu, which I started taking within 13 hours of experiencing the first symptoms.

But, also consider this thread from 2009 which is slightly more critical of Tamiflu: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/tamiflu-is-scary.1209/

NilaJones

I'm glad it seems to have helped!

I have found Tamiflu useful when starting it as long as 5 days after symptoms start.

I have a pain and inflammatio flare if I take it, so my process now is to wait a few days, see if my immune system can kick the bug on its own, and take Tamiflu if things drag on.

I have had a flu last as long as a month witnout Tamiflu, so it's important to me to have the option!