• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Talking wipes me out.

Effi

@minkeygirl do you mean it could be a deficiency of some sort? What confuses me in these deficiency things is that the symptoms are usually a whole bunch of things, and I usually have most/a lot of them, cause I just have so many symptoms... I do eat pretty much every single thing that's on that list in the article, so I'm gonna assume I'm all set. ;)

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I don't know. I just happened to see this and the sore throat, light sensitivity and fatigue stood out. It's cheap enough that I'd give it a shot. I mean there is no clear cut evidence for me what it is.

I found some 25mg sublingual so I can split them and start with a low dose.

My diet is hit and miss so I could need it. I for sure am deficient in B's.

I mean we are freaks so who knows?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I was just looking at that thread I think. if I read it right it's rivoflavin that is the issue not the FMN, which is the one I was going to get.

I haven't finished reading it.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Effi. Brain exploding from reading that thread . I struggled with methylation. Just baffles me. I got no benefit so stopped.

Why isn't anything easy?

Effi

@minkeygirl yeah I know those things are so hard to read! I react badly to pretty much every single thing I've tried, so I'm very cautious to try new things now. It takes ages to get back to where I started after trying something, so I'm just focusing on staying as close to my baseline as possible. At least that way I don't get worse (I hope).

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Effi I either have a specific reaction to things, like feeling speedy, or because i've taken too much but I've been lucky not to have huge setbacks.

I've decided to follow the dosages Kimmies suggested in that thread. So my thoughts to cut back on sups is down the drain. But I can get tablets of low doses of most of the B's to add what I have and see. I can't do nothing/

I'm finally feeling better after helacious 2 weeks. But interesting I still feel it in my chest. Hmm.

alkt

lots of cereals are fortified with riboflavin, niacin etc .a lot of different foodstuffs contain extra supplements so taking even more supplements on top of a reasonable diet may not be necessary or helpful. to much of any mineral or vitamin can cause harm.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@alkt Do you know about the methylation cycle? It's all about the B's

You'll find here people take a lot of vitamins to supplement becuase we are so screwed up. And no pain no gain.

@Effi. Got some of my stuff so I'm starting tomorrow with B2. Very low. I'll be cured. Lol.

I experience the exact same thing. The worst situations occur if I go out and dine with someone. I will be affected by horrible mind fog at the end of the conversation, and will be so tired I have trouble eating the food served.

Johnmac

Me too sometimes.

I just figured that talking is a stressor, and any stressor psychological or physical (talking is both) tires you.

Talking is generally directed at other human beings, & other human beings trigger social anxiety (even if only mild) in many circumstances.

That's of course magnified a lot of you have a condition like pyroluria. And no doubt CFS.

Me too sometimes.

I just figured that talking is a stressor, and any stressor psychological or physical (talking is both) tires you.

Talking is generally directed at other human beings, & other human beings trigger social anxiety (even if only mild) in many circumstances.

That's of course magnified a lot of you have a condition like pyroluria. And no doubt CFS.
@John Mac I'm skimming this thread (just joined PR today) because talking is such an issue for me and I didn't think, till now, that anyone else had this inability to talk, and listen. I mean, I knew everyone w/CFS/etc. would tire sooner than a normal person, but extreme & often immediate exhaustion?

You mention above that talking is a stressor, and I think that's a very important point. If, like me, you have issues with speaking up and/or being heard, dating before your illness (but maybe not so consciously noticed), then that's exaggerated now. The psychological stressor would mean that the effort to converse is amplified. In another language you could say having 5th chakra issues would add to the physical issues in talking.

I actually find listening even harder. It's so demanding.

Thinktank

This is the most debilitating symptom in my illness.

I too have a big problem speaking, more so to strangers because that takes a lot of effort and concentration. Trying to appear normal in a brainfogged, drunk state takes too much of me.

I get this flu-ish feeling in minutes when talking to someone or doing something that requires concentration. If i don't stop right then and there it develops into shakes, reddened eyes, high heartrate, pale skin and a crushing headache. Then i can feel the aftermath for days because of a hyperactivated CNS.

Yesterday we had a new maid come by to clean up, i speak a bit of her language but it takes a lot of effort to communicate, she doesn't speak my native language or English, maybe just a few words. I felt flu-ish within 2 minutes talking to her and today is even worse. I can feel the inflammation in my veins and it drives me nuts. My speech is incoherent and writing is difficult as i fail to understand which word goes where in a sentence.

My deepest sympathy to all of you who suffer from the debilitating symptom of being unable to talk.

Last edited:

taniaaust1

I don't get this like you do with like the air going out of me or the sore throat with this but talking is certainly very tiring for me and too much talking can make me crash. It's another thing I need to watch.

I think the talking is tiring for me as it makes me have to use my brain fast and harder. You have to be so focused when speaking. I hate having any form of meetings with this illness as it can cause me to crash.

I had an incident on Friday where I couldn't even tell ambulance officers who were about to give me a drug what I was allergic too due to the effort it was for me to speak at the time.

@minkeygirl Talking uses a lot of spoons for me, too, and it doesn't even have to be associated with a social situation. I spend most of the day alone in my room, and for some reason I feel the need to talk aloud when I'm thinking about something. I learn by hearing so maybe that's part of it, because I'm usually the quiet girl. Anyway, it will make me SO out of breath even on normal days. I sit there panting and feeling like I have no air long after a "reasonable" recovery time. I mean for goodness sake!! I was just sitting there speaking!! :bang-head:

Ugh, I hate it a lot. I'm really trying to stop talking to myself so much, and I've made a rule of how much I can do it, but I can tell that's going to be one of the hardest things to change. I'm so stubborn that I'll just keep talking even when it's already started affecting me. :rolleyes:

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@OhShoot When I talk it feels like someone sucked the air out of my lungs and they ache. I never talk unless I have to.

I text, use chat or email. I use IP relay to call places so I don't have to talk.

I don't know how long you've been sick but after 20 years I've earned fast. Don't do what causes problems. You know talking is bad and yet you talk to yourself? I don't know if stubborn is the word I'd use. I'm just saying.:sluggish:

alice111

i really have difficulty reading so i majorly skimmed this thread.. but @minkeygirl did u get an answer here about "why"??

this is something i have actually wanted to post for a long time, to see if anyone knows what is going on physically - because for me like @OhShoot described it's not even the stimulation of brain engaging in a conversation - it literally feels like a lack of oxygen or air! just speaking out loud drains me quicker than anything else, it's as if it is on par with running.. so strange.:confused:

@minkeygirl I've just been talking a lot and now my head feels funny. :confused: I know, it's ridiculous. I'm beyond stubborn. Maybe it's better known as PSC--Pure Southern Cussedness. :whistle: Hey, it's served me well in other areas of life!

I'll learn, eventually. I am starting to catch myself. The talking symptom has only been going on for maybe a year out of my 6. Maybe I'm still in a bit of a denial phase. :rolleyes: