Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Talking / mental fatigue

Discussion in 'Cognition' started by pine108kell, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Jeff2

Jeff2

Man, I recognize so many of the symptoms expressed in this thread.

Billt and Skycloud like this.
  2. Wishful

Wishful Senior Member

I've noticed one additional side-effect of CFS: I've avoided socialization for so long that my vocal cord endurance is very limited. I was talking to a friend recently, and found that my voice started failing after not very long. The PEM after that wasn't too bad, but has been at other times.

3. otterjack

otterjack

Manchester, UK
    I have that too, the stamina of my vocal cords seems to have faded over the years. If I'm forced to talk for too long, my voice gives out and I become hoarse.

It's something that non ME people really don't understand.

4. sleepingbeautyxxx

sleepingbeautyxxx

Germany
    I feel the same. My first symptoms definitely were sluggishness, fatigue and brain fog. I'm still going to school full and it's exhausting me extremely. In my worst times my body started aching from thinking to hard and I got light headaches from just trying to concentrate.

I can do a little bit of exercise here and there and it won't affect me much. I can clean my room and do chores in the household and it won't affect me much. But if I'm 7 hours a day in school with all that noise, I'm drained and get achy or get mild headaches. I realized that especially language classes are horrible (at least french) since its already hard to make up nice sentences in your first language, let alone a foreign one.

I also used to get dizzy if I talked to much whereas I didn't when I was doing sports.

I think for some people mental work or noise might just be more exhausting, especially if you're highly sensitive which I am.

Tell the people that don't understand that mental work can just be as much stress, if not more, than physical work. Therefore you can do some physical things without immediately getting worse.

Kati likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.