• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Talk to me about TMG

Eeyore

TMG is usually used to reduce homocysteine. It works by taking a shortcut and using methionine synthase + TMG to create methionine from homocysteine. If your homocysteine was high to start it would make sense that TMG might help.

TMG in very, very high doses is used in hyperhomocysteinuria, a dangerous genetic disease where homocysteine goes to REALLY high levels due to defects in an enzyme that converts homocysteine to methionine - can't remember which, maybe MTRR - but it is effective in these patients. It facilitates a "shortcut" through the methionine-homocysteine-SAMe-SAHe pathways.

The only other thing I can think of is that glycine is necessary for the binding of glutamate at the NMDA receptor, but I doubt this is the reason you feel better. For one thing, there is usually more than enough glycine and the limiting factor is glutamate. The other is that ME patients usually feel better with NMDA blockers like klonopin or neurontin (actually gaba agonists, but gaba opposes glutamate as a general rule). However, things like modafinil sometimes make people feel more awake, and these probably act, at least in part, as NMDA agonists.

Elevated homocysteine levels, while not healthy for your heart, are rarely symptomatic - so I don't really know why it made you feel so much better.

A funny thing happened to me on the way to recovery....

About 4-6 weeks ago I had a crash. I know why -- I overdid. It was a simple excess of physical work. The good news is that it was primarily an exhaustion crash -- no pain, no swollen glands, only very mild reduction in cognitive function. I did, however, get a flare in my bronchitis. Inhaled glutathione unexpectedly cleared up my years-long chronic bronchitis years ago, so I figured it couldn't hurt to look for any supplements that might help. I found a recommendation for NAC and TMG to help with chronic bronchitis. I already take NAC, but the form I took years ago as part of the Pall Protocol included TMG and it did seem to help in a general way. So what the heck, I ordered some TMG to try.

My bronchitis cleared up, although not quickly. I couldn't say if the TMG played a part or not. But other things changed almost immediately. My morning systolic BP, which ordinarily fluctuates by 10-15 mmHg from day to day is much more stable (maybe 5-10 mmHg) and is lower on avg. My morning HR is also more stable (less day-to-day fluctuation) and less inclined to climb with activity. Carb cravings that I have been fighting since I first became ill completely disappeared. I started losing weight. Some of that is probably from unconsciously eating less carbs, although I didn't eat much carbs before even though I craved them. I certainly haven't changed my diet noticeably, but I'm losing 2-3 lbs per week. Finally, I feel more "normal" in ways I can't really put my finger on.

Of course it's possible that something else is the reason for these changes, not the TMG. Maybe the crash reset something. o_O I dunno. Can anyone suggest what about taking TMG might have given these effects?

How are you now? Does TMG still help?

pogoman

TMG is usually used to reduce homocysteine. It works by taking a shortcut and using methionine synthase + TMG to create methionine from homocysteine. If your homocysteine was high to start it would make sense that TMG might help......

Elevated homocysteine levels, while not healthy for your heart, are rarely symptomatic - so I don't really know why it made you feel so much better.

high homocysteine is a common result of the MTHFR C677T mutation and TMG is suggested for it.
as it causes other symptoms like pain and exhaustion, noticeable improvements can be seen with the right treatment.

Eeyore

Some people do report symptomatic improvement. High homocysteine can definitely cause health problems - cardiovascular being among the most well known. However, there are indications it may affect connective tissue as well and increase the likelihood of tendon rupture - although I don't think this is well established yet.

SOC

How are you now? Does TMG still help?
Gosh, that was a long time ago! :)

I am much, much better now, but I wouldn't attribute it just to the TMG. I'd say TMG plays a part, as do many other things. Last month I had my first bout of bronchitis in more than a year, after years of having bronchitis almost constantly 9-10 months of the year. I believe Equilibrant has contributed to reducing the number of respiratory infections I get, so that is probably a factor along with the TMG.

:redface: I'm so pleased to hear that! Im lucky enough to have LDN so my immunity is quite good but the difference TMG has made to the fatigue has been astounding. Just need my body to catch up now! Great to hear though, long may it last :thumbsup: ️thank you for replying.