• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Talk by Peter Tatchell: How to make change happen for human rights

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
(brief) Quotes from the talk:

You need to set out your goals and how you will achieve them.

For LBGT Campaign he reasoned: we needed a strategy for inside the system (lobbying parliament and the judiciary church and the media) and outside the system (direct action issues in front of public). Allows working within the system where possible/where gains could actually be had and working outside to put pressure on the system. In their experience working within the system fails.

Shame and embarrassment (establishment) direct actions.

Important to enlist allies. Unite as many people as possible. Seek broad alliances.

Talks again about failure of working inside the system with regards to Poll TAx during Thatcher era. Only vast numbers of people not paying (civil disobedience) changed things.

Unpopular or off the radar causes it might be very difficult to use traditional methods of change. Hit and run, ambush methods have helped the weak and powerless to confront the strong and powerful. Naming people, calling them out on their hipocrisy.

Protest without relent. Highlighting different aspects of discrimination. Protest and discredit things the establishment does to bolster their credibility. eg cricket team going to Zimbabwe to bolster Mugabe regime

Don't be afraid to be passionate about your cause. It does not enthuse the wider audience to get involved without passionate engagement.

https://www.writetothem.com/ You can email your elected representative directly from this website (UK).

Interesting bit on Tatchell's citizens arrest of Mugabe and the results that highlighted brutality in the Mugabe regime.

Media powerful and important weapon. Establishment value their reputation. It's bad PR when establishment are exposed in the media as someone who discriminates, or bullies etc. Using media coverage exploits this vulnerability. Very important.

Developed relationships with social justice journalists who might be sympathetic. Providing them with tools and information. Arranged meetings, provided briefs, introduce them to victims of discrimination, gave them personal human stories

Finally, to be successful you must have a positive message not just what it is you are against but what it is you want, what are you for.
Clear, achievable alternative policies on the table. Hard to find a way around alternatives. Be Very Specific. (my example) X $'s spent already how to reallocate that money.

When people are determined when they work together and form alliances change does come.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Happy to contribute. Was lucky I had just gotten up and had coffee. I have actually been functioning subpar as I had been looking after my neighbours cats, fish, plants, house while they vacationed. Been in bed over a week now. Just starting to feel better and found this.

Let's just say I was motivated. :D Glad to have spared your spoons.

Esther12

Thanks. There probably is stuff to learn from there.

Media powerful and important weapon. Establishment value their reputation. It's bad PR when establishment are exposed in the media as someone who discriminates, or bullies etc. Using media coverage exploits this vulnerability. Very important.

Developed relationships with social justice journalists who might be sympathetic. Providing them with tools and information. Arranged meetings, provided briefs, introduce them to victims of discrimination, gave them personal human stories

Anyone mates with any social justice journalists?