• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Taking 1st gen and 2nd gen antihistamines

Skippa

Anti-BS
Hi all,

Is it generally considered safe to take a 1st gen antihistamine and 2nd gen antihistamine at the same time?

I already take a 2nd gen daily, was going to add a 1st for a couple of weeks because reasons.

Will they interact in a dangerous way? (Eg is there such thing as too much antihistamine?)

Thanks for any insights :)

GreyOwl

Dx: strong belief system, avoidance, hypervigilant
A 1st gen antihistamine will cross the BBB. It causes my daughter to crash. I think on other threads I've read you've had issues with SSRIs?

I've been told that an increased dose of cetirizine is safe.

Skippa

Anti-BS
Hiya, thanks for the response!

Yes, I have problems with SSRIs. What does that mean in this case?

GreyOwl

Dx: strong belief system, avoidance, hypervigilant
I'm not a pharmacologist (LOL) but if you have trouble with drugs that alter serotonin chemistry, then 1st gen antihistamines might play with that same balance:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18363822
(This is the only reference I can find on that, other than personal experience as a carer).

Have you tried a 1st gen antihistamine before?

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I think SOME 1st and 2nd gens can be taken together but not all. Best to ask a doctor I think. Most 1st gens are strongly anticholergenic and Diphenhydramine can block the reuptake of serotonin.

Skippa

Anti-BS
Thanks folks, I won't take any chances then :)

Ps, yes I've taken 1st gen before, they tend to make me groggy/drowsy.