Choline on the Brain? A Guide to Choline in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
http://phoenixrising.me/research-2/the-brain-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs/choline-on-the-brain-a-guide-to-choline-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-by-cort-johnson-aug-2005
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Take part in our Severe M.E. Symposium from home

Discussion in 'Upcoming ME/CFS Events' started by Action for M.E., Oct 30, 2014.

1. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Whether or not a researcher has had ME/CFS, CF, etc, is completely irrelevant. Being an ME/CFS patient in the past or present does not make their research or their opinions more relevant. Only the science matters. And McDermott is badly failing in that aspect.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    justy, jimells and Min like this.
  2. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    @justy thanks doing this. I hope you are not suffering overmuch as a result of your efforts on our behalf.

Gingergrrl, Min and justy like this.
  3. Dr Speedy

Dr Speedy

If u can do GET u do NOT have ME waken up

4. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    JAM likes this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The recovered, or those that believe they are recovered*, can often incorrectly ascribe reasons for their recovery when other factors may be the real reason(s).

*I think most people who have had M.E. don't make a full recovery i.e. where they could play competitive sports with no problems for example. People often start leading quieter lives after becoming ill and hence their impairments may not be noticed by them. Or they may just see them as normal. See for example:

Dr Speedy, Valentijn, Sasha and 2 others like this.
  6. Dr Speedy

Dr Speedy

"Conclusion
    This study enhances understanding of the extent of recovery from CFS and supports previous preliminary research on this issue (Bell & Bell, 2010
    ). Previous research suggests a better prognosis for youths with CFS (Cairns & Hotopf, 2005
    ). The current study found that individuals who were diagnosed with CFS as adolescents 25 years ago, and now report no longer having a diagnosis, show similar levels of impairment as individuals diagnosed with CFS adolescents 25 years ago and now report maintaining the diagnosis of CFS. Those individuals who considered themselves as no longer impaired by CFS were more disabled and symptomatic than controls who had never been diagnosed with CFS. Despite no longer maintaining the diagnosis of CFS, this group failed to return to a baseline, normal level of functionality. Future longitudinal research is needed to examine long-term CFS outcomes in larger, representative samples, utilizing a more recent case definition. In subsequent follow-up studies, the inclusion of biological markers implicated in this illness would augment previous self-report studies. Findings from this study underscore the chronicity of adolescent CFS and the need for effective medical treatments."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3940158/

Dolphin and Wildcat like this.
  7. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

In other words, self reporting is very unreliable. Some patients will say they're fine while they're obviously still sick. At least that's how I read it.

In a way this is funny. The psychobabblers trust the patients when they say they're fine, but insist the patients have a distorted perception of their health when they say they're sick.

PS: psychobabblers doesn't include Jason et al.

8. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

so that means believing you are no longer sick does not help at all. positive thinking does not seem to work. this is even a long term study not focusing on temporary results.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014

See more popular forum discussions.