• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tachycardia - high resting heart rate

ukxmrv

I'm interested in this topic as I saw recently info on Facebook about an unpublished study that just finished on exercise and CFS. Was wondering why the researchers chose to concentrate on the resting HR as one of the major symptoms studied. A patient who was enrolled in the study said that the selection criteria was

"that patients must have 4 symptoms, 1) Severe muscle weakness, 2) Insomnia 3) Generalised Pain and 4) pulses of over 100bm"

That got me wondering on the population they were selecting and why the pulse rate?

(BTW, I am one of the people who feels hot, can have a flushed red face but my limbs feel cold, even when my abdomen is cold to the touch)

snowathlete

When you say "resting" what does that mean? Lying down flat? Semi-reclined (head up but in a recliner)? Sitting in a chair? Standing still? For people with orthostatic intolerance the posture makes a huge difference. Bigger even than walking vs. sitting still.

Sitting down. I'm sure it would be lower if I was lying down but then I wouldnt be able to compare to 'normal' rates...of course there might be 'norma' rates for lying down somewhere, but I haven't looked.