• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

T-cell immunity, microglia and brain dysfunction

natasa778

https://www.autismspeaks.org/science/science-news/study-may-shed-light-autism-and-brain-inflammation

“We’re starting to understand how the peripheral immune system can affect brain function and behavior,” says neuroscientist Anthony Filiano, who is leading the study at the University of Virginia, Charlottesville....

Dr. Filiano designed a study that built on earlier research in both mice and people. Previous mouse studies have shown that maternal inflammation during pregnancy can result in offspring with brain inflammation and autism-like behaviors. Along these lines, several studies looking at medical records have shown that mothers who have infections and/or signs of inflammation during pregnancy are more likely to have children who develop autism spectrum disorder (ASD). In addition, studies have found signs of inflammation in the brains of those affected by ASD.

In his new study, Dr. Filiano is using a line of mice genetically engineered to lack T cells. His team has noted three important abnormalities in these mice:

*The T-cell deficient mice spent less time socializing with other mice.

*Their microglia (brain immune cells) were in an “activated,” or inflammatory, state.

* Brain regions associated with social behavior in the mice showed signs of abnormal hyperconnectivity. Indirectly, this suggests that the microglia failed to perform their task of pruning excess connections between brain cells.

Restoring normal behavior
Working with the T-cell deficient mice, the researchers next showed that they could restore normal social behavior with a transplant of T cells from ordinary mice.

These early findings suggest that T cells and microglia work together to support healthy brain development, Dr. Filiano says. “We think the T cells are doing this by producing signaling molecules such as interleukin 4, which can pass into the brain.”

Wayne

as they are discovering more connections between immune dysfunction and the brain.

I've come to the understanding--or have come to believe--that whatever affects the immune system affects the brain. So it's no stretch for me to believe that vaccinations, which produce an exaggerated immune response, can also injure the brain, and significantly affect brain function. And as we've seen from the large number of testimonials on this board, then leads to ME/CFS.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
A common cause of increased microglia is viral infections.
at this stage i think its a stretch to say antivirals help through lowering microglia directly , i think its more than likely indirectly from lower viral load.

I think they need to do testing with avs on cfsme with no proven active infections and see what bearing this has on microglia First?

Too many systems involved in cfs/me.