1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Systemic Mast Cell Disease:

Discussion in 'Mast Cell Disorders/Mastocytosis' started by nanonug, Oct 23, 2012.

1. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    This is a beautiful PowerPoint presentation put together by Dr. Larry Afrin about Mast Cell Activation Syndrome. It contains lots of useful information on this condition. In particular, look at page 4 just to wet your appetite!

Systemic Mast Cell Disease: An Update

camas, natasa778 and justy like this.
  2. Shell

Shell Senior Member

England
    Thanks - I'll have a read.
    Just watched the BBC thing with all those spectacular graphics. Wish they really could see inside us that clearly. Perhaps they will one day (minus the overdramatic music and hyped up voice over). In the meantime it's all in our 'eads...

3. searcher

searcher

SF Bay Area
    Thanks for the presentation nanonug. I had read and linked to the PDF version but hadn't come across the PPT version, which is obviously much cleaner to read.

The presentation is long but I think worth a read for anyone who is trying to delve deeper into the mechanism causing their symptoms. The case studies really struck a chord with me and it's encouraging to me that he has been able to help most patients using different medications ranging from H1 blockers to Gleevec. He touches on pretty much every strange symptom I have experienced, including those people may not associate with mast cells. For example he discusses night sweats and weight changes (p 40), breathing problems (p 45), cognitive dysfunction and GI problems (almost every case study), and temperature regulation (p 71) in addition to the usual mast cells suspects like flushing/itching/environmental sensitivities/POTS.

So, um, I rate this presentation two thumbs up :)

ahmo, nanonug and merylg like this.

See more popular forum discussions.