• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Symptoms getting worse - acidosis?

Hello All,

I'm really pleased to have recently found this site, and have been trying to take in all the information available. I'm really struggling at the moment, and was hoping you might offer some sage advice.

I'm 32-years old, and have had CFS for a number of years. A year and a half ago, I was diagnosed with candida, and have spent all of my time researching and trying to cure that. I am no better - my tongue is still coated in white. What is more, over the past 3-4 weeks, I've been feeling steadily worse. In addition to the ordinary candida-related problems, I'm experiencing a hefty amount of:

- Unsteadiness/drunk-like feeling;
- Limbs that are constantly achy and on the verge of cramp;
- Hazy vision;
- Headache;
- Depression;
- Muscle twitching;
- Even OCD symptoms (which have come from nowhere).

Treatment wise, I focus on the candida, as I say:

- Megafood probiotics (100 units per day) - consisting largely of lactobacillus (sp?) strains
- 1 cup of coconut milk kefir
- 16 tsps of coconut oil
- 6 caps of SF722
- 1kg of rutabaga/swede per day
- Portion of sprouts
- Broccoli

I find that the above symptoms are worse after kefir and probiotics. I've been convinced I was experiencing die-off; but it has been going on now for 8-months. I feel very poorly. I wonder if I'm a case of having introduced too many lactic-acid producing bacteria? I've stopped taking kefir/probiotics today.

Should I now be seeking a stool test to determine what I should do? I live in England, and Dr. Myehill is the only lab I've found.

For the sake of completeness, I've started to do enemas; have S. Boulardii waiting in the wings; have sent off a hair sample for toxic element. But, on the whole, I'm completely lost.

I would be extremely appreciative of some advice. This whole journey is beginning to feel utterly Pyrrhic!

Best,
Leon

vamah

Have you been tested for viral/bacterial infections? It may be that some of your symptoms are being caused by something other than the Candida. It is possible that another infection is also making you vulnerable to Candida as well.

taniaaust1

I agree with the above poster about you possibly having something else going on which is making your susceptable to the Candida.

Many naturopaths recommend an anti-candida diet (sugars in the diet feed candida) and from what you put there you arent doing that for it. (may books have been written re anti-candida diet so try your library)

I used to take prescription antifungals as well for candida. (I had issues with it for many years but no wdays dont have issues). Be aware that antibiotics will make the issue was (it can take a whole year for ones system to get over taking an antibiotic).

Olive leaf extract is another thing you can try.

Find oreganol oil capsules quite effective for candida. As above post, olive leaf extract is helpful generally.

Thanks for the replies.

My diet is as strict as can be. I am certainly experiencing die-off, but what I'm now experiencing is qualitative different. I'm trying to avoid antifungals, such as oregano oil, that are bacteriostatic because they're antibiotics (as is GSE and others); this is one reason why I'm concerned that I've replaced some of the candida with an over-abundance of D-lactate producing bacteria with the kefir/probiotics, because from what I've read this means killing some bacteria off with antibiotics. I'm really not sure what to do about this, however. I'm lost! The plot just keeps thickening!!

Victronix

If your diet is as strict as it can be, I'd consider a methylation protocol -- http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/active-b12-protocol-basics.10138/

It sounds like a systemic issue, and methylation can help overall immune function. Having overgrowth is not a normal condition, so it would probably be helpful to give your whole system a boost of support with B-12 and methylfolate and other supplements. Then your system may be better equipped to address more specific gut issues.

My gut totally changed after I had a strong antibiotic for pneumonia, revealing an overgrowth I'd had for many years.