1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Symptom reduction on starting Xifaxin

Discussion in 'GcMAF' started by Sushi, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Hi everyone,

I have been taking GcMAF for 22 weeks and Nexavir and hydrox B12 injections for about a month. I was "feeling" a lot of improvement while just on GcMAF. When I started the other two, I got a lot more symptoms (not necessarily a bad sign, but very uncomfortable). I am now experimenting with lowering my doses of Nexavir and B12 on the assumption that they are bringing more detox/die-off.

I feel better on lower doses of these two. I just started Xifaxin yesterday for a heavy overgrowth of prevotella in the gut. Just in one day my uncomfortable symptoms have lifted quite noticeably. Also "elimination" is much better.

This could support the idea that I have not been eliminating toxins and dead critters fast enough due to significant gut problems.

I know many of KDM's patients are taking rounds of antibiotics followed by probiotics. Has anyone else noticed a relation to taking an antibiotic and "non-gut" symptom relief? For me, it means a clearer head and just feeling better. I didn't notice such a change with the first antibiotic, but Xifaxin seems to be doing something worth doing.

Best,
    Sushi

2. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    Hi Sushi - Where did you have a test to confrim prevotella overgrowth. That is one that I'm not to familiar with. Thanks

3. Sushi

Albuquerque
    I had an anaerobic gut/stool test done at RedLabs in Belgium--prescribed by De Meirleir. The test result said 93% overgrowth. That sounds diabolical! Not sure exactly how to interpret it but I sure am feeling better with Xifaxin (generic Rifaximin).

Sushi

4. consuegra

consuegra Senior Member

5. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Hi Chris,

He uses different antibiotics for different patients--depending on what gut tests show and what the rest of your testing shows. But I know of several other patients for whom he has also prescribed Rifaximin.

Sushi

6. girlinthesnow

girlinthesnow Senior Member

Hi Sushi,

Like you, I've felt better on the antibiotics (and also on an amoebicide Gabbroral). Also too have an overgrowth of Prevotella, this one seems to come up quite often in PwME, I don't know what the rate of occurrence of this particular gut bacteria is in the general population but it doesn't seem to be a common gut resident.

What dose of Nexavir and B12 is suiting you? I'm still on the 2 mg/day of Nexavir and the same of B12 and feeling rough on this. I wonder if some of the symptoms I'd put down to GcMAF are really die-off? I do have more energy with B12 injections but as always the story is much much more complicated than it seems at first and of course as the body terrain is altered with all these interventions so the symptoms shift as well.

It's hard to explain 'worse but also better' but nevertheless this is how it feels from the inside out.

7. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Agree! Worse but better....!?

Because I took GcMAF on its own for several months, I was aware of the symptoms-change when I added Nexavir and B12. My feeling is that most of my uncomfortable symptoms are coming from these two, as I was doing fine on just GcMAF.

I haven't found a dose of Nexavir and B12 that "feel good." I am experimenting. At the moment I am trying 1 ml of Nexavir daily and about 2mg of B12 every couple of days. I think I get symptoms changes from both of them. I am trying to figure out a dose that is both therapeutic and that I can live with.

But my reaction to Xifaxin does seem to point to the symptom-problems being die-off or detox.

Let's all just keep sharing experiences.

Best,
    Sushi

8. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Sushi my level of Prevotella was 79%, just wondering were you prescribed Gabbroral prior to the Xifaxin?

9. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Hi Mary,

I was prescribed Paramomycin (which I think is the same as Gabbroral), for the first month, Xifaxin for the second month, and Paramomycin again for the third month--with the remainder of each month on VSL-3.

Have you had symptom improvements on gut antibiotics? Hope so!

Sushi

10. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Thanks Sushi - I had Tiberal the first month then prescribed Gabbroral for the second month with the probiotics in between, my digestive symptoms have improved, but overall I'm no better, I've still a long way to go.

11. serg1942

serg1942 Senior Member

Spain
    I second Susan's observations. I took GcMAF on its own for 4 months, and I was clearly getting better over time. I started to go downhill after adding in Nexavir and B12 injections. I have reduced B12 to 1/4th of the initial dose, and still mantain Nexavir at 2mls daily because it seems I have a severe prions issue, and I think it helps with this... But as Sushi, I don't feel as well as I was with just GcMAF, so I think that both B12 and Nexavir are masking my real state...

Sergio

12. consuegra

consuegra Senior Member

I imagine during these antibiotic treatment the patient continues to take the VSL and other probiotic support? Or does the patient actually not take the probiotics during the two weeks or whatever when they are on the antibiotic?

Chris

13. Spring

Spring Senior Member

Netherlands
    My gut is definitely better since Rifaximine. I just started my next ab today (erythromycine) but my stool was still good three weeks after Rifaximine. In de first weeks after Rifaximine I felt very relaxed but I don't know if it was because of the Rifaximine or the Gc Maf. I will know in about a month, when I have my next week of Rifaximine. I had also very high prevotella, don't have the numbers in reach now.

Best wishes,
    Spring

14. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Hi Chris,

The way my protocol is set up, I take the antibiotic for the first part of the month (the one I am taking now is 8 days) and only take the VSL-3 for the rest of the month--not at the same time as the antibiotic.

Sushi

15. anncavan

anncavan

San Francisco, CA
    Hi Sushi,
    How long were you on Xifaxin? I found huge improvement immediately. But after 3 months the new energy/stamina left as soon as it arrived. Any ideas - increase dose, alternating with similar drug????
    Thanks for any thoughts!

16. Sushi

Albuquerque
    I took it for 2 months--though I only took it for 8 days of each of each month. Probably I will have to take it again. I will be taking another anaerobic stool when I am in Belgium soon and we'll see what it shows. I had a good response to xifaxin for a couple months then problems started to arise again.

With xifaxin I think you really need a doctor's care and regular stool tests. Sigh!

Best wishes,
    Sushi

17. alexa

alexa

i started xifaxin yesterday and i already feel a lot better! but reading all the responses here makes me worried....is this just an artificial bout of wellness... i was hoping that this would actually "cure" something...i was soo happy and now i just feel sad again...

18. anncavan

anncavan

San Francisco, CA
    Hi Alexa,
    Please don't be discouraged just based on my experience. Everyone is different! My first 3+ months on Xifaxan were GLORIOUS!!! Just concentrate on your wellness, and take advantage of the gains. I got out of the house, made new friends, even went to a baseball game and a soccer game. I am still thrilled I had that time to get out and pay extra attention to relationships that in the past I could not have done.

After my Xifaxan effect kind of faded, I didn't know what to do. It took a while for me to get to Oxymatrine, which has helped me considerably. I've been on that for 2 months now. And am doing more than I have in a long while. So, at the very least, if Xifaxan's improvements fade a bit. Try Oxymatrine!

Keep in touch. And please, take full advantage of this improvement. You deserve it! Allow yourself to live in the moment and really enjoy it!

19. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

is xifaxin an antibiotic? someone i know improved greatly while she was on it..is this for leaky gut???

thanks

20. Forebearance

Forebearance Senior Member

Great Plains, US
    Hi Sushi,

I want to offer some food for thought. I know many people take B-12 injections and do great on them. But not everyone can handle that much B-12. If I took that much, I'd be detoxing so hard it would cause serious trouble.

So you know, if you need to lower your dose of B-12, you wouldn't be the only one. I take a tiny crumb of a Perque B-12 tablet, and not even every day.

Congrats on your gut working better! Do you take any toxin binders to help move the dead critters and etc. out?

Fore

See more popular forum discussions.