1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Never Ask Us if We're Hungry -- The Answer's Always No
There are three of us here and for many years, none of us ever got hungry. When our brains would turn to mush, when our faces would go numb, and we would start the invisible vibration which is the signature dance of ME/CFS, we knew we needed to eat.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Sympathetic nervous system dysfunction in fibromyalgia, CFS, IBS, and interstitial cystitis...

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Bob, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Sympathetic nervous system dysfunction in fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, irritable bowel syndrome, and interstitial cystitis: a review of case-control studies.
    Martínez-Martínez LA, Mora T, Vargas A, Fuentes-Iniestra M, Martínez-Lavín M.
    J Clin Rheumatol. 20(3):146-50.
    2014 Apr
    doi: 10.1097/RHU.0000000000000089.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24662556/

beaker, barbc56, shannah and 2 others like this.
  2. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

For a long time after being diagnosed, I didn't realise that IBS is neurological. I think it has to do with the brain signals that control the motility of the bowel. It was actually my PCP who told me this.

Barb
    Bob likes this.
  3. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

Barb, I hate to tell you and your PCP, but patients who have had the vagus nerve cut before it reaches the stomach continue to digest food and have bowel movements. The nerves controlling the process have been called a second brain.
  4. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Can it not be a neurological condition, if the nervous system is affected other than the brain?
  5. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    It's interesting. I've always thought of IBS as being an inflammatory illness, but there are probably different types of IBS.
  6. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

I do have some inflammation but not a lot.

I wonder if there are different types? I need to look this up as it sounds plausible.

Barb

ETA I wonder if the motility issues cause inflamation and would IBS-C or IBS-D make a difference?
    Bob likes this.
  7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    This is correct but misses the point. What happens to IBS patients whose vagus nerve has been cut? I don't know that we have an answer to that.

The vagus nerve connects to a second system of control. If one system of control is working, and the other dysfunctional, what happens?
  8. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    Sounds like an advert for Gupta programme/CBT/LP, & similar, with maybe some medication considered as a concession to the biomedical crowd.
  9. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

I'm actually a big fan of Gupta. It has really helped me to get rid of the horrible wired but tired feelings, other nervous system symptoms such as shaking and formication, and I am now a much more relaxed and happy person than I was even before I got ME. Ashok guarantees you can retrain the amygdala, not that you can recover from ME. The second part, however, does come for a number of people. I think it is an entirely valid part of a comprehensive treatment strategy. This research helps to explain why.
  10. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

The flaw I'm pointing out is that looking in the brain may not help if the neurological damage is elsewhere, nor will any therapy based on conscious control.
    WillowJ and NK17 like this.
  11. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Which I agree with.
  12. N.A.Wright

N.A.Wright Guest

IBS appears to have multiple causes - one recent paper suggests impaired motility in 2% of patients is genetically mediated http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0016508514002972 :

Diarrhea-predominant IBS (IBS-D) was the most prevalent form of IBS in the overall study population (25%). However, a greater percentage of individuals with SCN5A mutations had constipation-predominant IBS (IBS-C, 31%) than IBS-D (10%, P<.05). Electrophysiologic analysis showed that 10/13 detected mutations disrupted NaV1.5 function (9 reduced and 1 increased function); p.A997T-NaV1.5 had the greatest effect in reducing NaV1.5 function. Incubation of cells that expressed this variant with mexiletine restored their sodium current; administration of mexiletine to 1 carrier of this mutation (who had IBS-C) normalized their bowel habits. In the GWAS and 4 replicated studies, the SCN5A locus was strongly associated with IBS.
    Conclusions
    About 2% of patients with IBS carry mutations in SCN5A. Most of these are loss-of-function mutations that disrupt NaV1.5 channel function. These findings provide a new pathogenic mechanism for IBS and possible treatment options.
    WillowJ and barbc56 like this.
  13. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

@N.A.Wright

Thanks that's interesting to know.

Barb

See more popular forum discussions.