Surprisingly good outcomes for people who get ME/CFS after Mononucleosis (Glandular Fever)
Sometimes ME/CFS emerges after mononucleosis, or glandular fever. Simon McGrath shares results from a long-term follow-up study from Haukeland University Hospital in Norway...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Swollen Lymph Nodes: Did You Have These Before Getting CFS, Or Only After?

Discussion in 'Immunological' started by Hip, Mar 15, 2011.

1. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    Lol Angela, lets see if i can get my GP to look for an alternative diagnosis or even be interested in feeling my chronically swollen lymph nodes! He has told me more than once that M.E patients dont have any immune problems at all and when i askk him to examine my neck he says that they are "not bothered about that sort of glands" ???

So it seems i am excluded from having it AND excluded from not having it!

2. Angela Kennedy

Angela Kennedy *****

Essex, UK
    BINGO!!!!!! :rolleyes::D;)

3. TinyT

TinyT Senior Member

Australia
    Wow, really?!?! Tell that to the 3 Docs that have re-diagnosed me with 'CFS' in the past year (including an immunologist).

I've had almost every 'regular' blood test available in Australia looking for other diseases, infection etc.

4. Tulip

Tulip Guest

LOL

That man needs to:

(a) learn how to use the internet and research a disease properly
    (b) get it through his thick head that it's a "disease" not "chronic fatigue" :rolleyes:
    (c) come down with the most hideous case of ME in history

5. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Yes Tulip - seems your suggestion (c) is the only way for the thickheads here. Love the use of the term "thickheads" - distinctly recall in A&E having had a Psycho "set" on me wondering seriously if he could do the Times Cosswords - not a hope.

6. Angela Kennedy

Angela Kennedy *****

Essex, UK
    What this all points to is there is this terrible discrepancy between how patients are selected as having 'CFS' for research purposes, and how they are treated as clinical patients.

Also- I should say - it's Reeves et al (not Reeves on his own- sorry for not making that clearer). In fact- both Leonard Jason and Nancy Klimas are co-authors to Reeves et al 2003.

It's a mess. It means that CLINICAL patients with clear SIGNS of dysfunction, get only offered CBT/GET in the chronic fatigue clinics, while having research results (like PACE or even the Erlwein negative XMRV paper) extrapolated to them inappropriately. Looking at the reader responses to Erlwein et al, there is evidence of this happening.

See more popular forum discussions.